Friday 16 January 2015

What's Your Story - Laertes

Answers by Laertes
Introduction and Captions by TBD

My googling has suggested that Laertes is both one of the Argonauts and a character in Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Is Laertes named after one of these guys?

My home country is… Spain 

From my limited knowledge of Spaniards, I assume Laertes is an expert right-handed swordsman on the hunt for a six-fingered man.

My age is… 40

The first adventure game I played was… I am not sure but it must have been Monkey Island I. I played the Spanish translation, and I only understood the "red herring" puzzle much, much later, in fact a few years ago. 

Language specific expressions must be very hard to translate effectively

My favourite adventure game is… Difficult to choose one but probably Monkey Island II with Day of the Tentacle as a close second. 

Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle DOS References to other Lucas Arts' games
Day of the Tentacle is likely the first fully-voiced adventure game many people played

When I’m not playing games I like to… I seldom play games anymore. Only some oldies in ScummVM, Dosbox or emulators or some Roguelikes from time to time. My main leisure activities are reading and playing guitar. Rather trying to play guitar more than actual playing.

I like my games in (a box, digital format)… Probably in a box.

The thing I miss about old games is… I don't miss them, they are still with us in all their pixelated glory!

The best thing about modern games is… I don't play modern games, only some roguelikes as I said above, if we can consider them modern. When I see friends or relatives playing new games they really don't appeal to me. Too much eyecandy and little game. I am only attracted to flight simulators but I don't want to spend the time required to really enjoy them. The last games I bought probably were simulators like Falcon 4.0 and Flanker 2.0, but that was many years ago.

The one TV show I never miss is… I prefer to read over watching TV, but I'd say here The Big Bang theory. 

I assume the TV series is based off the science textbook


If I could see any band live it would be… Of the active ones maybe Rush. Of the gone ones plenty: Queen, Led Zeppelin, Triana, Paco de Lucía (not a band, I know)... 

Paco de Lucía - flamenco guitarist


My favourite movie is… An old Spanish film called "¡Bienvenido, Mister Marshall!". (Welcome Mr. Marshall!)

One interesting thing about me is… Well, I don't know if I can be of interest to anybody.

6 comments:

  1. All Leisure Suit Larry games are currently on sale on GOG.

    Get the lot for $6.57. Or some of them for less money...

    LSL1 remake and LSL5 are both coming up soon on The Adventure Gamer so if you want to play along, now might be a good time to buy them...

    Note: The first title in the promo is named Leisure Suit Larry but is actually Leisure Suit Larry 1-6 (including the VGA remake of LSL1)

    http://www.gog.com/promo/weekend_promo_codemasters_merge_mastertronic_160115

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dunno about most people, but I think the first fully voiced adventure game I played was King's Quest 5, and probably Alone in the Dark (it counts as an adventure game as far as I'm concerned!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was foolishly assuming many people had the same experience as I did on that one.

      CD-ROMs were new when King's Quest V came out and I played the non-voiced version on the Amiga.

      But, looking at the upcoming adventure game list, Day of the Tentacle may not even be the first talkie Lucasarts adventure game... OOPS.

      Does anyone else remember their first 'talkie'?

      Delete
    2. Uh... I remember a game that has voices but not speech. Does moaning count?

      Delete
  3. But surprise... Iñigo Montoya is ambidextrous :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, he had trained to use his left hand almost as well as well as his right, as a handicap to force himself to keep improving, even against inferior swordsmen

      Delete