Friday 21 July 2023

Lost in Time - Pondering Prunelier in Pursuit of Power, Plumbing, and Probate

Written by Michael

I have written and rewritten the introduction to this post, because I can’t seem to make any sense in my writing. You see, I noticed in the last session that I was ignoring the plot of the game, and instead just going pure adventure gamer and simply looking to pick up everything not nailed down, and to solve any puzzles I could find, without any regard to the game or plot.
So the plot, as I understand it so far, and what’s been revealed to me: I’ve awoken, somewhat dazed, in what appears to be the cargo hold of a ship, in 1840. I’ve found a slave named Yoruba being held down here, and we are both down here because of a man named Jarlath de la Pruneliere. Playing around with inventory items lets me explore a further level of the ship, and I encounter an officer in the Space-Time Patrol, who prompts me to tell him about the events that led me here. It seems my memory is back, so I start to tell a tale about inheriting a house in 1992. I was trying to get into my house at the end of the last post. We haven’t really gotten to anything listed on the back of the box yet.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not necessarily saying this is a bad thing. In this session, there’s more problem solving, and less 15-screen dialog sessions, so all in all, I felt this was a lot more enjoyable to me.
Yes, I know this clip is from game 7, and I don’t care.
Not to take any thunder away from the upcoming playthrough of Leisure Suit Larry 6 by Alex, but with how sarcastic the game is at times, our featured program would benefit greatly from borrowing the narrator from that game. Who apparently also voiced Wally in the Monkey Island 2 Special Edition. I can hear his words clearly in my head, making the sarcastic descriptions even more snide. But I digress; let us return to a slightly less titillating experience.
Well, well, well, now that’s a deep subject...
After breaking into our own backyard, it’s time for a detailed look. I move closer to the well and water spigot, and find one of them too deep to see into, and the other not yet working. There’s a door into the building, so that’s the obvious place to go next.
The door handle snaps off into my hand as soon as I try to open the door, and it appears that the key is in the inside lock. Oh, and there’s a hotspot labeled as a space under the door. Well, I suspect the puzzle trope for this would be to put a blanket or paper or something under the door, push the key out, catch it on the paper, and then pull it back. Except I don’t have a suitable paper/blanket/whatever. I did keep the note on the gate, but instead of it being in my inventory, it’s in my diary, so I can’t access it. The game tells me the foil in my cigarette carton is too small, and I don’t have anything else yet. Must keep looking.

Speaking of keeping looking, I look above the door at the round portrait of someone, probably some distant relation. It wasn’t nailed down, so I took it. There’s also a stack of logs next to the door, so I take one.
Seriously, it does kinda look like that. I wonder why I’m comparing everything in this game to an Al Lowe program.
I wonder if I’ll need to rescue a girl from the tower?
There’s nothing more to do here, so I explore further into the property. I hit a crossroads with paths to both a strange building and a lighthouse. Given a maze, I always choose left first.
Follow the butterflies
Before I leave this screen, I need to point out a nice touch by the designers. Every now and then, butterflies flutter through this screen, and from different entry points. This sort of random, added animation isn’t on every screen in the game, but there’s been a few nice ones so far. Detracting a little from the nice effect, however, is that the butterflies are hand drawn rather than photorealistic, so slightly more noticeable than perhaps they should be.

On the other screen, a bird flies through. Again, nice little touch.
There’s an entrance door, with no handle or switch, and a hole in the stairs. That hole looks suspiciously the same size as a random picture I found hanging outside my new palatial estate, so let’s try that.
And a new puzzle, but an easy one. I subtract the years to figure out the age of the decedent, punch in the numbers on the two sliding digit places, and click the cross to let me in.
That brings us to the elevator, which apparently isn’t working right now. The buttons do nothing. The railing is firmly attached, and is a clickable item, but doesn’t seem to do anything, so I might need to combine something with it later.

Oddly, you can click on the back of the elevator to move your POV to inside the elevator, and it shows a video of a closeup of the back wall getting closer. Of all the things to waste time animating... most of the other animations have been acceptable, or even borderline well done, but this one just seemed a little useless to me.

I haven’t mentioned the animations much until now, but many (but not all) of the times you take or interact with an object, a small window shows a video of you performing the action. Normally, it’s of the bottom two-thirds of you, without the face, performing the deed. Sometimes, it’s just an arm, like when you take one of the apples from the basket on the tractor.

The resolution, given this is a floppy disk game from 1993 meant to run on 640x480 screens, is not awful, and does benefit from having an attractive model as the protagonist. Unless the image is skewed in this release interview with Ms. Tramis, the assertion by fanboy commenter SpanishCoktelVisionFanClub that the model for the main character is based on her is probably correct, of course using a slightly shapier model.
Again, where is Neil Ross when I really need him?
Back to the game at hand, I’ll give up on the elevator for now, and check out the lighthouse. Hey, look — a door I can’t open! Something new, I guess.
This game has a barrel, an apple, and a bottle of wine. Are they copying from Leisure Suit Larry 1 now? I had better not find a blow-up doll anytime soon.
To the right of the door, against the building is a barrel and a bottle of wine. It’s not nailed down, so...
Later on, I should have realized this was a hint. It took me a while. We’ll get there soon, I promise.
I’ve been civil in this post, but this annoys me a little. See, back on the ship, I was only able to remove the cork-like knot with a cork remover, because the other tools I had were not sensitive enough for the job. But for this identical puzzle, I was able to use the dart I had to remove the cork, spilling all the contents of this aged rum barrel onto the ground.
And then, we are able to stick this massive, huge thing into our inventory. I feel like I’ve done this before.
Now that the barrel is out of the way, we’ve exposed a basement window. Looking closer, I see that there is something behind the window. Much as if I was getting a bottle of Spanish Fly, I feel the need to break the window. I didn’t find a hammer in the dumpster, so I try everything in my inventory that might do the trick, but nothing works yet, so I will keep this in the back of my mind.

At this point, there’s nowhere else to go and no other items I missed, unless I missed some pixel hunting. So I look at my inventory again. Something has been nagging my brain... why did I keep the empty battery, after removing the acid?

And I remember the description of the wine turned into vinegar, and I remember that vinegar has an acidic taste. So, could it be a replacement for battery acid?
We will forget the fact that I haven’t charged the battery, and we’ll assume that it will just work. Video game logic.
Now, I’m able to combine more inventory items. And I’m confused. It seems I’ve acquired an inventory item at some point, which I don’t remember picking up. It’s a wire. I replayed what I’ve done, and figured out that after I put the portrait into the steps below the elevator, I must have removed the wire it was hanging from and kept it. But the game never mentioned it, animated it, or otherwise made me aware that part of the portrait was kept in reserve.

Wrapping the wire around the door handle and connecting to the battery is a basic electromagnet. I think I might have made one of these in middle school.

With this, I don’t need a paper to shove under the door, I can suck the key out magnetically. The game won’t let me use the pipe to push the key out, claiming fragility, but I can use the ever-useful dart. Then, using the magnet on the space below the door, I get a key, and replacing the handle onto the door again, I can enter.
I’ve inherited a really swell AirBNB.
I’m in the living room, which is the only room I can explore, at least right now. There’s a fireplace, a small box, a trunk, a fire extinguisher, an oar, and a rod leaning against the wall, among other things around.

Unlike the massive barrel, when I try to take the rod with me, I can’t, because it’s too heavy to carry around. But I’m able to use it in the fireplace, and when I do, it’s staying there for good. I wonder what puzzle I inadvertently solved? And the game lets me pick up the oar and carry it around. So I’ll be good if there’s a flood, I have a barrel and an oar that together I can use as a boat.

In the fireplace is a roasting spit, which is a smaller, bent metal item. Taken. The small box contains sand, but other than feeling it, I can’t do anything with it right now. There’s also some discs on the sides of the fireplace, I assume to spin the roasting spit, but the game doesn’t allow me to do anything with them.
Let’s see what’s IN the box...
Looking at the small box, it is tied closed with a copper wire. Taking that, inside there’s a container of resin, which the game tells me is good for repairing the hull of a ship, and some fuses, including one that’s busted and not installed. I suspect that might be what’s wrong with the elevator.

What do I have that can help with the fuse? Finally, a use for the foil inside my box of cigarettes. We use that to nestle the fuse with inferior contacts into the hole, and something has been repaired.

Again, some inspiration. I’ve just picked up a couple of bulky items that might help me break the window. I head back over, and try the oar, but the window is “sturdier than it looks.”
The roasting spit, however, does the trick, and nets me a hose for my efforts. I would connect the hose to the spout on the house, but there’s no reason to yet. Someone hasn’t paid the utility bill.
Well, time to test my theory about what the fuse controlled. Off to the elevator, and pressing the button does something now, it brings me into the crypt. The description of the room is likely a hint -- I’m told that it is rather cold here. Pixel hunting the screen, I find an opening, some bottles and a container, both out of reach, and another locked treasure chest. Clicking on it a second time brings up an interface where I’ll need to enter a combination of colors and murder weapons, but I haven’t seen any hints to this yet. As for the items I can’t reach, the oar doesn’t help (but I would have liked to knock the item onto the floor!) but the game does allow me to use the barrel with a hard-to-see hotspot called “the floor”. It’s in a rather specific area just below the bottles. I’m able to climb onto the barrel and obtain some cider. It’s corked -- that’s a hint -- and in my inventory, the cork is shown as a separate but included item in the bottle.

Checking out the opening, more hints I suppose: it’s at ground level and looks out at the well. I suppose that’s a hint that I’ll need to interact with the well from here?

I try to use the barrel again to get the container from the upper ledge, but it’s still too far to reach. And why the oar isn’t working is beyond me. But, let’s follow a hint: the corked bottle of cider. The cork might be something I can throw at the container, and maybe knock it off its perch.
I wasn’t expecting that. I guess the bottle was pressurized (hard cider perhaps?) so I used the cork as a bullet, to do as I just planned but with a higher velocity. I now have a spray can of rust remover.

And with this, I’m going to put a cork in this gameplay session. I really don’t know what I’m going to do next, but a good night’s sleep might make the difference. (Of course, like most people, I haven’t had a good night’s sleep in many years, but still, optimism.)

Session Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes

Inventory: Roasting spit, hose, copper wire, barrel, oar, fire extinguisher, rust remover, resin, small pipe, and the cigarette carton, containing a matchbox.

Game Completed: 22%

Note Regarding Spoilers and Companion Assist Points: There’s a set of rules regarding spoilers and companion assist points. Please read it here before making any comments that could be considered a spoiler in any way. The short of it is that no points will be given for hints or spoilers given in advance of me requiring one. Please...try not to spoil any part of the game for me...unless I really obviously need the help...or I specifically request assistance. In this instance, I've not made any requests for assistance. Thanks!

55 comments:

  1. Funny, I figured I got the wire pretty quickly, but had to look it up to find that hole. Put one down for having a too dark monitor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you finished the game? I seem to remember the well puzzle was harder than the rest.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, but I'd say the hardest part was the bit just after the well puzzle, anyone who reaches there will immediately know what I'm talking about.

      Delete
  2. Correction: I wasn't the one who said that the character was based on Muriel Tramis (which is probably true). I said a much worse thing: that I looked up the actress name and found her Facebook with pictures of her (she must be 50 year old or so) because she looked hot in Lost in Time. On a more humanist and positive note, it was great to see her full face (I believe the game only shows the upper part of the face?).

    I also looked up some other bad actors from Coktel Vision games out of curiosity. For example, the guy from Inca 2 that looks like Bruce Willis is actually the director of the game, which is also an artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Correction: I wasn't the one who said that the character was based on Muriel Tramis (which is probably true)".
      Yeah, that was me (I hope this gets me a huge bucket of CAPS)

      Delete
  3. Not to take any thunder away from the upcoming playthrough of Leisure Suit Larry 6 by Alex, but with how sarcastic the game is at times, our featured program would benefit greatly from borrowing the narrator from that game. Who apparently also voiced Wally in the Monkey Island 2 Special Edition.

    True: Neil Ross. But using quite different vocal performances for each role!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops, apparently missed closing an italics tag there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe I found some inconsistencies in the game list Excel ( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oZeTt8ONK9WjqQ81g9lCM2Bd_g6CR-GBb13wvSs4ocE/edit#gid=1 ).

    1) It doesn't seem to make much sense that Alone in the Dark 1 and 2 are present, but not Alone in the Dark 3, Ecstatica, BioForge, City of the Lost Children or the Resident Evil series.

    2) At the same time, some adventure games such as "Return to Ringworld" or "Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller" appear with a "Disregarded" status, but I don't see why this could be as they are proper graphic adventures (surely much more than games like Alone in the Dark, Bloodnet, Castle of Dr. Brain or Inca).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rules for game inclusion are here: https://advgamer.blogspot.com/p/rookie-companion.html

      Return to Ringworld has neither a Wikipedia article nor 20 Mobygames user votes. You could search for reviews and other sources on e.g. Archive.org and make an article yourself or request it here.

      Regarding errors, there are some duplicates (X-Change for example, and Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise appears again in 1995).

      Also, Japanese games are apparently listed based on the year of their English Windows/DOS releases, although IMO it'd be generally better to do them by their original release years in order to properly tackle Japanese adventure history. Fatal Relations (somewhat notable for being the first game by C's Ware and the first VN Hiroyuki Kanno worked on, although merely as a programmer) was originally released in 1993 but is listed as a 1998 game. Cosmology of Kyoto, listed in 1995, likewise was first released in 1993, with an English Macintosh release in 1994 (if VNDB which Wikipedia uses as the source for the game's release dates can be trusted).

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Laukku! That explains the "Disregarded" thing, but I humbly find the Wikipedia + Mobygames rule a bit too much... For example, here it wouldn't allow The Adventurers Guild to review the third part of the Ringworld trilogy, which would be odd because the others have been reviewed. About Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller, it does have a Wikipedia article and 28 user votes in Mobygames, so maybe it's another (arbitrary) rule. Honestly, I don't care much for either of these games, but I just wanted to let you know just in case.

      About the Alone in the Dark 1 and 2 games included and the rest of survival horrors not, that's not an issue with Resident Evil/Bio Hazard being japanese and appearing with different release years: games like Alone in the Dark 3, BioForge, Ecstatica, Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3 and Silent Hill don't appear in the list. And this is a clear inconsistency when Alone 1 and 2 are there (even if the Alone games clearly have more inventory, all those games are the same style).

      Delete
    3. There's a third Ringworld adventure game? Revenge of the Patriarch is the first and Return to Ringworld the second as far as I know.

      Disregarded and Borderline games can still be played, a commenter with enough CAPs just has to buy them when the relevant "Year Ahead" post comes up.

      Most of the list was made in 2011, and is out of date. I think the admins focus on one year at a time, the directly upcoming one, when updating future games on the list.

      My observation about different release years of Japanese games was less of a reply to you and more of me going on a tangent.

      Another rule, in Trickster's time at least, has been that only "PC" games are eligible, explaining the lack of console games.

      Delete
    4. Firstly, regarding the questionable release dates of Japanese games, I'm still proposing we keep that, within reason. Obviously Japanese games without western release dates should be counted as the original year, but those with western release dates should be those release dates. Within reason. The games from the Dragon Quest guy and Garage: Bad Dream Adventure have western releases decades past the original release. Cosmology of Kyoto should not just be a missed classic, it should be a mainline game.

      That said, regarding survival horror games, I note that while I like the genre and try to go through such games myself every Halloween on my own blog, it probably wouldn't be good for someone who probably already beat the games once to do a playthrough here. (including the aforementioned Ecstatica, https://almostafamine.blogspot.com/2022/10/ecstatica-1994.html )

      That said, I note that Ilmari has said to me they plan on changing things around next year, though either way it looks like both the next year's spreadsheet and those page files are in serious need of updating. Some of them aren't even updated to the new name... (I could, of course, possibly help, though next year's list would mysteriously have a few shareware games from the time added...) Even that PC only rule no longer exists, as technically TBD played a console game and we've all played who knows how many games off other computers.

      Delete
    5. I suppose I understand how the criteria caused this result, but I think I agree with the Coktel fan club that it seems a little weird that a later entry in a series should be disqualified if earlier entries were included. I realize there's only so much time in the world to play and review games, but unless later items in a series change genre, I think they should still be eligible.

      Delete
    6. Hmm, I'd actually favour using whatever release year is most convenient. (And in cases when a reviewer can play a version accurate or reasonably accurate to that year.) Use the 1994 (or 1995) release of Cosmology of Kyoto as an excuse to play it in the respective year as a mainline game. EVE Burst Error and Desire were originally released before the same guy behind them did the hugely influential YU-NO in 1996, and playing the two afterwards because they got English releases in the late 90s (not to mention via ports with garbled non-PC-98 arrangements of the music), while YU-NO didn't until decades later, would weaken the chronological aspect of this blog. Snatcher's first release after 1993 was in December 1994 (and is the English one), after Policenauts which came out much earlier that year (while Snatcher originally released in the '80s) - but I can personally live with that, especially since the later versions of Snatcher are heavily revamped anyway and the time difference is so small between those 1994 releases, being in the same year.

      Delete
    7. @Lisa H.: The rules say being "an officially licensed game or part of a notable game series" is an alternative to having a minimum of 10 Mobygames votes.

      Delete
    8. (Whoops, EVE Burst Error's localisation was technically in 2000 and not in the late '90s, but whatever.)

      Delete
    9. @Laukku So you mean being in a series only counts for discharging *part* of the requirements? Still seems like a strange result to me.

      Delete
  6. Official localisation of the original Clock Tower announced:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qf8owD4s0M

    ReplyDelete
  7. 6 months ago, a Danish "band" formed by 2 guys (basically one guy with the Space Quest Historian on a secondary role doing drums and artwork) called Error 47 released the album "C:/DOS/RUN":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUyKN9EeT6Y

    It's a collection of remixes of songs from Inca, Quest for Glory IV, Flashback, Beneath a Steel Sky, Curse of Enchantia, Zak McKraken (with a bit of Maniac Mansion), BioForge, Steel Empire, The Orion Conspiracy...

    ...and Lost in Time (the song from the intro that you only listen for some seconds until much later, more electronic and tense).

    It's a nice album! Perhaps a bit too much Flashback and Future Wars for me, it's an unusual choice of songs. Some of them from shitty games like Enchantia. It would appear these guys loved European graphic adventures back in the day. I would have used more Sierra songs instead... Maybe in the following record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to check this out. One of my favorite video game music bands in the Minibosses, who turned a bunch of NES themes into guitar rock.

      Delete
    2. Hmmm, for some reason I assumed the Future Wars soundtrack was included, but it's not there (not even in the list I pasted). I probably listened to the song from Zak with no references and incorreclty identified it as Future Wars.

      Just in case someone wants to start playing Inca simply for the music after this, I would strongly suggest to use the DOSBox SVN version by YKHwong to save at any time by pressing ALT+F5 and loading with ALT+F9. And even doing this, you would probably need a special key combination (it's probably in GameFAQs somewhere) to automatically destroy all enemies in sight in the terrible "Doom" (actually Dungeon Master with some Rebel Assault shooting) sections... No wonder Inca 2 removed those.

      I suspect the boat sceneries in Lost in Time took a lot of inspiration from the similar ones in Inca (the engine is clearly the same).

      Delete
    3. It's probably the same guy who did both 3D sections.

      Sadly, I didn't recognize most of the tunes off the album, even from some of the games I've played, but that was a very nice version of the Inca theme.

      Delete
    4. I think I like all the songs except for track 2, the one from Quest for Glory IV. I needed to understand what could have made them add it to the album, as it's an histerical 80s electro rock song with a boring melody that feels out of place. So I checked QfGIV soundtrack (I'm not a fan of these games due to the RPG factor, but I like their soundtracks and graphics) and I understand the reason: the band probably loves that game, and that particular song was clearly the more energetic as most other songs are dark and moody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sslx7M7R-N8

      I personally would have added a Quest for Glory 3 song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=168pyp2IwcI . Or maybe a song from some other MS-DOS games with an epic sountrack absent from this album, such as Space Quest IV, Wolfenstein 3D, Xenon 2... But hey, at least they included unexpected songs that are mostly great.

      Delete
    5. Their Inca was pretty good. Also I enjoyed Synths of the Fathers, "The soundtrack to the iconic 1993 adventure game Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, re-imagined in an EDM/industrial/electronic rock style", although the title is a groaner. ;)

      Delete
    6. Thanks, Lisa! I stopped drinking some years ago, but I can safely imagine myself asking for a beer or ten (or an absinthe) if I was in a disco bar and the DJ played that.

      Delete
    7. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twoguysrecords/soups-on-music-from-the-7th-guest-and-the-11th-hour-on-vinyl

      Delete
    8. After listening to the Synths of the Fathers album, my opinion about Error 47 is: "They play great, but there is a lot of room for improvement on the choice of songs".
      The last 6 tracks don't remind me of any song in the game, so I assume they must be some more tense climax tunes. I personally would have remixed the street jazz, the church music and even the police song instead, as they're more epic and fun.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE3Stw1xFUo

      Delete
    9. The video above is the ADLIB soundtrack for Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, which contains the aforementioned songs that were not remixed by Error 47.

      By the way, I also wanted to mention something interesting: GK:SotF was released both in 11 floppies and a single CD, with the CD version having instrumental music and voice acting, but lets' be honest, 90% of players only experienced the floppy version because they didn't have a CD player in 1993... and even decades later, playing the floppy version has always been the preferred way in DOSBox or ScummVM due to the difficulties of configuring the CD version (and to play the version you had in the 90s, probably). So what I wanted to say is that I find weird that everyone talks about this game today as a voice acting game, forgetting its floppy origins. And in Youtube, you find multiple results for the CD soundtrack, but the video I pasted in my previous message, the ADLIB soundtrack that most everyone experienced, was the only one I found and has only 70 views.

      I would even suggest that the floppy version should be the one chosen by this blog for the playthrough, as it's the most common/original... But I know that's unlikely to happen.

      Delete
    10. The CD version of Gabriel Knight 1 uses prerecorded music only for the main menu / opening credits theme, otherwise it's synthesized and you can select AdLib/SoundBlaster. If you use a sound configuration without support for digitised sample playback, that track becomes synthesized too. I'm not aware of any other differences between the music of the versions, however I've never played the floppy version. Most soundtrack videos and some playthroughs on YouTube use General MIDI while you've used AdLib, which could make you think the CD version's music is more different than it is.

      As for personal taste, even though IIRC it was originally composed for General MIDI, I prefer the AdLib/SoundBlaster rendition as it makes the game more interestingly dreamlike/surreal.

      Delete
    11. I would argue your assertion that most people only played the floppy version at the time. By this point, CD gaming wasn't new, and people (including teen me) had gotten CD drives because of the FOMO of that time.

      Since the CD version was released at the same time as the floppy, it would hold with blog tradition to play the best version of the game released at the time. Unlike, say, the game I'm playing now, where the CD release was withheld for nearly half a year.

      Tim Curry was a major draw, at least to us in the US, and I was one of the proud owners of the jigsaw-shaped box for the CD release.

      Delete
    12. Thanks, Michael... Here in Spain I didn't know anyone with a CD-ROM drive until 1996, when my dad changed his 386 for a Pentium 133. But besides personal expriences, data shows only 20% of the income from PC shops came from CD media in 1993, and around half of the computers still were sold without a CD drive:

      https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1994-03-29-fi-39690-story.html

      Sales figures don't separate CD and floppy, sadly. Not that it matters much, but it would be interesting to see which version sold the most. Magazines seem to love the CD version.

      By the way, can we agree that Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers has the best map music of any song in video game history?

      Delete
    13. Do you know what happens if you mix the best music genre with one of the all time best adventure game? Well, this:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF1Rt4Kp8Mc

      Delete
    14. I did not know about computers sold with drives, because back then, power users were more likely to upgrade themselves. By this point in time, I had gotten a CD drive from a computer fair, which I installed myself into my computer of the time, which I'm thinking was either a 386 ot 486. My grandfather had done likewise.

      When my drive had become obsolete, I upgraded the drive before I upgraded the computer. (Going from say, a 2x speed drive to a 4x).

      Delete
    15. From my own point of view it certainly felt like CD-ROM drives were becoming prevalent by the end of 1993, and more so into 1994 as Gabriel Knight would have released across Europe. It's anecdotal, but everyone I knew seemed to have them.

      Delete
    16. In fact, the link that SpanishCocktel provided would seem to support that, as it talks about CD-ROM sales soaring at the end of 1993, lining up with the release of Gabriel Knight.

      Delete
    17. Yeah, CD-ROM drives were hot, but it was kind of the start of the new era (i. e. only half of new PC included a CD in that year [and we can assume most GK:SotF buyers already had a PC before 1993], only 20% of income related to CD in shops...) It would be great to have the CD Vs. floppy break down, but we would need someone from Sierra to step in and provide the data... Maybe Corey could help? ;)

      Delete
    18. As I recall, and this is echoed in interviews of the time, Sierra still had the attitude at this time of, "let's make for a good machine, not for the crappy one some people haven't upgraded from yet."

      So they definitely would have not cared about floppy games from this point on -- and the last ones were somewhat scary, the size of the box for LSL5 and KQ5 they had to make special double-size boxes to hold all the disks. Where a game like LSL2 was made to be easy to play from floppy (the disk changes happened with the location changes), now they didn't care about floppy users anymore.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mini poll: If a graphic adventure has a regular floppy version with ADLIB music and no voices and a CD version with voice acting and instrumental music, which one do you usually play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my case, since I hate voice acting in graphic adventures and instrumental versions of ADLIB or MIDI tunes, I always go with the floppy one if possible. (I appreciate voice acting in other game genres, but it annoys me in this one... Maybe it's because I'm used to not having it or maybe it's the repetition of sentences. I also like instrumental music in games like Shadow of the Colossus, Katamari Damacy... but for some reason I have this love for the simple electronic soundtracks when available, often the original ones and sometimes with different tunes than the CD ones).

      Delete
    2. CD version with voice acting all the way

      Delete
    3. Always the CD version/voice acting! With the exception of Loom, which was more complete in the floppy version.

      Delete
    4. It depends on the quality of the voice acting for me. I find the voiceovers in e.g. Fate of Atlantis and King's Quest 5 so weak that I prefer to play without them - with FoA I otherwise begin calling it Microsoft Sam vs. the Mad Scientist Parrot in my head.

      Delete
    5. Always the CD with voices, and absolutely NEVER Adlib. By this point in time, I had already had a SoundBlaster, and could never deal with the lower-quality Adlib music.

      As for voice quality, I've never had a game so bad I turned off the voices, but I'll strongly disagree about Fate of Atlantis. With the exception of the scientist in the ice cave, the voices were well done. Especially Indy.

      Delete
    6. Always the CD version/voice acting! With the exception of Loom, which was more complete in the floppy version.

      Loom was a weird.one, because they did a CD release with orchestral music from the CD instead of the sound card stuff, and since I didn't have an MT-32 at the time, it was quite nice.

      But yeah, that ignores the argument some have over whether the EGA version is better than the VGA.

      Delete
    7. I didn't have a SoundBlaster for a while so for some games, AdLib sounds "more correct" to me because it's what's in my early 90s memory. As for Fate of Atlantis, I agree about Indy. Very good voice and until last year I actually thought it was Harrison Ford! Sophia is fine, not great, but good enough and certainly not so terrible as anything in, say, King's Quest V. The supposedly European accents... are... less good. Besides the Icelandic(?) scientist you mention (hoo boy), some of the Germans are pretty cheesy as well.

      Delete
    8. Re: Loom, purists prefer either the EGA version or the FM-Towns version, but the talkie CD version does have its merits, even though it cuts some lines (so that all the recorded voices plus the CD audio music would fit).

      Delete
    9. I could play and replay again and again Discworld 1 & 2 just to hear Eric Idle as Rincewind. Every line he delivers is hilarious (In Discworld 1 all the voice actors are superb)

      Delete
    10. I'm looking forward to when the blog gets to those games, because I still haven't played them. Like many Discworld fans, I am not a fan of the first couple of books, or, really, of Rincewind. So my introduction to the series was the Noir game, and the book Hogfather.

      Delete
    11. Discworld 1 is almost impossible to solve without a walkthrough by your side. An image of this game should be along the definition of Moon Logic Puzzle. Bit the artwork is beautiful an the humor top notch, if you like monthypithonesque comedy. It is a very flawed game, but a very ambicious too. Discworld 2 is. Aver solid sequel, a more traditional point & click adventure game ith no need to have a walkthrough by your side to solve it. I recommend both

      Delete
    12. The Discworld games are a complete blind spot for me so I'm also looking forward to playing along with them. In fact, there's a lot of games coming up here that I'm really looking forward to and will be playing for the first time. The genre evolved in some fascinating ways through the mid to late 90s that are very much to my personal tastes (FMV, yay!).

      Delete
  10. Since Lisa H. pasted the Synths of the Fathers link, Gabriel Knight has been hijacking this thread... and this message continues the trend.

    I just discovered a super weird real conspiracy which happened 30 years ago in the Spanish video game press: the biggest Spanish magazine, Micromanía (which was also read in some Latin American countries as our Argentinian guy Leo Vallés explained), didn't review Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Freddy Pharkas, Eco Quest 2 and Police Quest IV because the distributors refused to give them a free copy of the games. (This would also explain their reviewing of Space Quest V in early 94 instead of early 93 and of King's Quest VI in 94 instead of 92).

    Apparently they confessed in an answer to a reader's letter. I'm still trying to find that particular letter, as the letter section was introduced around 1995. I'm now checking #27 (3rd era), from 1997.

    Their scores were always fishy, always giving games 89/100 even when they were s**t. When recently asked about this, they said that they only reviewed good games, so bad games were always left out and thus the scores were always high. Bull**t.

    Over the last years, I've been reading game reviews in multiple British, American and even French or German (with Google Translate) magazines, and my impression was that they were much more professional than our beloved MicromanĂ­a (a good looking magazine with lots of maps, screenshots and stuff, but with really silly texts).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually some of the texts were good: for example, there was a mysterious RPG section where some guy used to write a lot of serious stuff. But the normal reviews were particularly bad, often basically spoiling the game plot and puzzles without warning (seriously... They often pasted 1st person, literary style playthroughs instead of a review and only in the last paragraph, after a "OUR OPINION" title, they actually reviewed the game quite superficially).

      Delete