Thursday 13 July 2023

Lost in Time - I Went to the Villa by the Horse With No Name

By Michael

It seems appropriate that I’m starting this playthrough session just after the Fourth of July, as I’m working to gain independence from this ship for Yoruba and myself.
Wait, we’re traveling through time and space, not outer space. Wrong Independence Day.
For those of you who aren’t American, you can play along by having a barbecued hamburger, some potato salad, a cold, frosty can of lager, and wait until dark to disturb the sleep of all the cute, adorable puppies out there.

To recap the story so far: I’ve awoken, somewhat dazed, in what appears to be the cargo hold of a ship. It is likely we are in the past, which is odd, since the last time I remember, it was 1992. After exploring around, I’ve found a slave named Yoruba being held down here with me, who, in telling of his story, prods at some memories I still have. We are both down here because of a man named Jarlath de la Pruneliere, who, although she doesn’t mention it, shares the same last name as her (with an altered spelling, the final ‘e’ was removed over time). Yoruba has managed to find himself a knife, and even though he has a family legacy to protect a treasure that’s also likely in the hold of this ship, he plans to instead use the knife to commit suicide. I convince him to let me use the knife first, as I try to figure things out.This seems like a good time to pause, and show up a feature of the game. Remember, there’s a few icons that appear if I move the mouse to the top of the screen. One of them is for the notebook. Choosing the notebook first brings up your thoughts, which get updated from time to time. You’ll know when this happens, because the icon will appear at the top of the screen and briefly pulsate.
I guess I haven’t had time to update my diary yet
There are no new entries, but there’s a new tab. Look at the “1” at the right of the book, hovering over it with the mouse, it says “Dialogue”. I’ll click that.
He ordered extra prints of that photo, to share with his classmates
If I click on the picture or the caption below, I get a replay of the conversation we had, screen by screen. I won’t rehash it here, look at the 15 or so pictures towards the end of my last post if you need a refresher. Certainly convenient, for the average gamer who didn't take 75 screenshots during that last session.

Back from that digression -- I have a new inventory item, the knife. It’s not going to open the treasure chest (as before, I’m told that the lock can wait until later), so I’ll try it on another puzzle that’s eluded me so far.

I return to the post that is near an escape hatch in the ceiling. I’ve been given the hint by the game that it is too smooth for me to climb, so I tried some things to make it less smooth, such as pouring acid on it, or using the nail and corkscrew on it to scratch it. None of that works. But, perhaps the knife.
I guess it’s a carving knife
I proceed to carve a step in the post. Based on the picture, the step might be a little small for even my pet cat’s paws to use, but we will suspend logic and disbelief for a second.
Perhaps I need to bring my pet cat aboard, it sounds like they have a mouse problem.
After climbing the step, I arrive on the next floor. Immediately, I see a door, and hear scratching from within.

I don’t realize it immediately, but as soon as I carved the step, I discarded the knife, so I won’t be returning it to Yoruba. I wonder if the game will do this often, removing items from my inventory when I’ve used them for the appropriate puzzles. We will see.

I’m somewhat of a scaredy-cat, so I’m not going to investigate the scratching yet. I’ll pussyfoot myself around the rest of this floor.

Turning to the left and right, and walking around, I can walk a few lengths down, and see stuff on the left and the right of me as I do so. I won’t overload you with screenshots of every view, just a few choice items.
You (don’t) light up my life
On one set of shelves, I find two lamps, one that’s “broken”, one that’s “not working anymore”. The game doesn’t let me interact any further.
Set up the pins, so I can bowl...
On the same wall as the lamps, and further up, there are some racks built into the wall, with pins, used for winding the rope on the ship.
...and damn, a 7-10 split!
There’s a pin missing from the rack, rather conspicuously. I’m thinking it may be a puzzle, but when I hover the mouse over the spot, I can still interact with a “pin”. A bug? Or sloppy handling of the image and hotspots? We shall see.

Checking out the racks, I’m told they are perfectly all right. (Insert another Al Lowe joke here). When I do interact with the pins, I’m told they are tight. Perhaps that’s a puzzle? Again, time will tell.
I’m having a ball so far
I come across a few cannons and some cannonballs, which Doralice sarcastically notes makes sense, because of all the cannons here. Whatever I say about this game, I’ll admit that, in ways, Doralice is my spirit animal. I am also a sarcastic S.O.B. at times.

There’s also a cannon with a big chip in it, but I can’t do anything with that right now. There’s also a barrel described as “rotten”, but also, there’s nothing to be done at this time.
In one alcove, hanging from the ceiling, is a halyard. First, I had to google the term, because it’s not one I use on a daily basis. So, that’s a rope used specifically for hanging something above a ship, such as the mast or flag. So why is it down here, and what can I do with it? Clicking on it, or trying inventory items on it doesn’t get me any further, because it’s too far out of reach. I’ll be needing a ladder or stool, perhaps, or just a longer tool. Sadly, I’ve discarded the knife previously, so that won’t help us here either.
 The real question: why would they be cooking cane sugar, if Starbucks wasn’t around yet to serve you iced coffee?
Giving up on the rope for now, I continue to explore, and come across some containers that look like large bowls or half barrels to the naked eye. It appears they are for processing cane sugar. One had raw sugar, one cooked. I find a towel at the bottom of one of them, and I will, of course, be stealing that.
There’s some boxes containing contraband goods, and a porthole that cannot be opened. Wait, how does she know the boxes contain contraband goods and stolen treasure, when she doesn’t even open them? And, how does she know we aren’t on a legitimate ship carrying cargo for a legitimate customer? All good questions to ask the slave on board?
Okay, I might have been joking about Starbucks before, but I’m seriously thinking otherwise now.
We find some sacks filled with cinnamon bark and cocoa beans, which, despite my intentions to make lattes for the crew, I cannot do anything with at this time.
Race you off the ship!
Again with the linguistic differences, when I see the word chariot, I think of a cart, pulled by horses, being driven in a race or to convey royalty. But I think the game is using it to describe a wheeled cart for moving the cannon around. Regardless, it’s of no use to me at the moment. Perhaps if I found a cow, to provide some milk. But being on a ship, a cow would just provoke me into telling humorous insults about fighting dairy farmers.

There’s a cord with a ring hanging down from the ceiling. I try to pull on it, but alas, it will not budge. Again, I have so many different inventory items I think might work. I try to yank on it with the pliers, but get reminded, as with the earlier puzzle, that a gentler approach would be needed. I look to try the oil that I used on the pump, to perhaps grease the rope or a pulley or something, but that has left my inventory after I used it as well. (And at the time, it said I was just using a couple of drops, so I’m surprised it is gone.) Water has no effect either. So, I try one last thing, before giving up on this puzzle and leaving it for another time. I use the towel on the ring.
To me, this felt like random guessing, but I understand the logic of it.
Pulling on the cord opens a cabinet in the wall next to us.
Hidden within the secret cache is a bar of soap. Like any prisoner (if I am one), I will endeavor to not drop it. And with that, I have now emptied the cache.
I need to Move Your Bottom.
There is a bottom in this cache that moves, but nothing in my inventory right now does anything. I’ll have to come back to this later.
Insert Al Lowe joke here
Again, I’m just skipping around the room now, not detailing how I’m walking. If you think of the rotations as separate rooms, this level is basically a 3x4 area, although that’s not entirely true. But I don’t want to bog down the post too much.

Also, if you’ve noticed, I’ve apparently gone into full-on adventurer mode, and forgotten the goals I had, and I’m simply just exploring, and trying to pick up anything not nailed down. I’m not sure that’s how the designers intended the game (do they ever?) but I’ve started to do it by default.
Some solid adventure game advice
At one side, I find a pair of cannonballs. I can’t take them (clicking only looks at them), and none of my inventory items react, so I’ll come back to them later.
All the world's a stage, and we are but the players
There’s a trapdoor in the floor. Well, another one. There’s the one that I came up from, but there’s another. I think it corresponds to where Yoruba is being held.
Now I’ll paraphrase Doralice’s line from before: It feels like I’ve been picking locks all morning. Unsuccessfully, though.
I can’t do anything with the rod or the lock, and amazingly, this was one of the goals I had when I entered this level -- to free the wizard slave. So, another puzzle to work on.

But I inadvertently solved another puzzle while trying to solve this. See, I first had the idea to use the soap on the lock or the rod, but that didn’t work. Then, I was thinking about something a little far-fetched, such as carving a key out of the soap. The knife is long gone, but I tried the nail. I got soap shavings for my trouble.
By now, you should understand my senses of humor, irony, and wordplay, and understand why this song is the best choice as a caption for this picture.
So, there’s another stuck sliding door, with another handle that requires some tender, loving care in order to open it. That oil from the last post would have been rather useful, but alas, Doralice felt we didn’t need it anymore. So, some soapy water would probably do the trick. But I can’t get that done either, so I just try the soap shavings on the door. It worked, but I’m still not convinced that dry, unmoistened soap would have got the job done, but I got there in the end anyways.
Hey, look, it’s an elf on the shelf!
I’ve come across another prisoner. This gentleman says he is part of the Space-Time Patrol, and pursues people who travel illegally. To me, the most incredible part of the following exchange is how readily she accepts this. Usually, the character learning about time travel is in disbelief and needs further proof to hop on board, but her first response is the equivalent of, “Officer, please don’t give me a ticket, maybe if I get you a donut...?”

(Note: We are not told his name during this entire exchange, but if you look in your diary afterwards to replay the conversation, you’ll learn his name is Melkior.)
So, the plot thickens. We enter a flashback scenario, where we will be acting out the past to answer Melkior’s question.
This transition is almost cinema-worthy
We’ve gone from the drawn by hand computer graphics of the ship's interior, to a scanned photograph of the entry gate to a mansion, blocked by the handsome white horse.

Perhaps the readers have some opinions on the drastic change in art styles? It’s something to discuss, no doubt. I’m not ready to form an opinion yet; let’s see the other locations first.
You would think the game would know the answer. It’s me that doesn’t know.
When you mouse over the horse, it’s labeled as a Handsome Stallion. But when the cursor hovers over the tractor, this somewhat sardonic description appears: “Who parked this machine here?”
Doralice cannot enter the property, because of the horse blocking the way. So that seems to be the immediate puzzle. Looking at the horse, we are treated to a very interesting cinematic choice on the designers -- we see the horse (and all interactions with it) from the inside of the gate, looking at the horse, and, effectively, in the direction of Doralice. Obviously, she’s just standing outside the view of the camera for this shot.

Clicking on the horse multiple times brings up different statements, such as “With Jolly Jumper in the way, I can’t get close!” and “Are you wild or time, my friend?”. Nothing I do has an effect, and it seems I have no inventory, so let’s look around.
There is so much horsepower all over this screen
The next obvious stop is the tractor. This brings up some of the discussion in the comments of the introduction post, the mixing of hand drawn pixelized art, with the scanned photography of the tractor. Very obviously, we’re going to need to interact with that blue thing in the picture.
I’m positive that not finding and using this item would be a terminal mistake
We are treated to a short video insert of our heroine reaching into the tractor, to a different area than the blue thing was, and extracting the blue battery. Well, we have a new inventory item, so let’s see if it could be used to solve our problem...
The ASPCA will not be boycotting our blog after all
So, back to the tractor. Now, some blind pixel hunting, at least to me. Inside the tractor, I find a glove box of sorts. Inside, a treasure.
Close, but no cigar.
And although the game didn’t give me any hint that more items were in there, by blind clicking the box again, I found another item.
Perhaps this is a language barrier issue again, but... now I can see the actual size of the pipe from earlier in the game. And that’s big enough to hold water? It looks the size of a dipstick to check the oil.

But I don’t think either of these will help me with this puzzle. An empty cigarette package, I don’t think the horse smokes anyways, and the pipe has no effect. Again, I’m not being cruel to the animal.

On top of the tractor, barely visible even on my modern 30” monitor, is a wicker basket containing an apple. And, oddly enough, as soon as I take the apple from the basket, the basket disappears. Guess I don’t need to search there anymore.

An apple is an appropriate treat for a horse. I’m rather confident in solving this puzzle now.
I’ve not poisoned it, my dear. I’m just a simple apple seller.
The horse steps away, leaving us with an unguarded gate. A close-up provides us with more information.
Who exactly keeps a dartboard on the outside of their entrance gate?
There is a dartboard mounted to the entrance gate, with a note attached by a dart. When you click on it, Doralice reads the note aloud, but as I soon discovered, it also now appears in your diary, just like those conversations.
And checking out the gate, we have to deal with the lock.
For most people, the first problem is the mortgage payments, not a squatter.
I looked in my inventory for something useful. This brings up another “feature” discussed in the comments of the last blog post -- nested inventory items. Mousing over the cigarette pack shows two more things, a matchbox and some foil. This is handled somewhat awkwardly, until you’re used to it. If you click on the cigarette pack, the nested items disappear from view. Much like a pull-down menu on a computer, you have to keep the mouse hovering over the pack, and then glide it directly to the inset item you want to select.

None of the inventory items are useful on the lock. And there is no direction for me to leave the screen, and unless I missed something, no more pixels to interact with. So, time for item manipulation. I had no ideas -- Again, this may be a cultural or time difference here. See, as an average lazy American, the only time I ever interface with a car battery is to jump start it. I’ve never cracked open the casing to remove the acid from within. But if you use the pipe on the battery, our ego will do just that.

Battery acid sounds like a great way to melt a lock. Let’s do it.
I’m not sure I understand this pun.
Or, perhaps, you could just say, “GET OFF MY PROPERTY!” Just saying.
And we’ve entered the property. And now, it's time to take a break. Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.

Session Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes

Inventory: Dart, small pipe, empty battery, and the cigarette carton, containing foil and a matchbox.
Game Completed: 13%

Note Regarding Spoilers and Companion Assist Points: There’s a set of rules regarding spoilers and companion assist points. Please read it here before making any comments that could be considered a spoiler in any way. The short of it is that no points will be given for hints or spoilers given in advance of me requiring one. Please...try not to spoil any part of the game for me...unless I really obviously need the help...or I specifically request assistance. In this instance, I've not made any requests for assistance. Thanks!

50 comments:

  1. Yeah, this is Lost in Time. You stop worrying about the plot, you interact with lots of things, you suddenly change from 3D to pictures and a "handsome stallion"...

    ...but you keep going back to play! Your entries are appearing a few days after the last one, which I believe it's a good sign. We must remember there are games in this blog that reviewers take several months to go back to or even end up abandoning!

    Back to the game, I honestly wasn't expecting the 3D boat to pictures-of-mansion change when I first played this in 1997. I was like WAT.

    MUSIC/SOUND NOTE: Dear readers: in the mansion, the cool but repetitive electronic ADLIB music from the boat has now been replaced with what I like to call "SOUNDBLASTER BIRDS" and it's actually relaxing in a weird way...

    So yeah, I'm glad you made your way that fast to the mansion, and now... Well, now you will have some puzzles. Some cute (and some hard but brute-forceable) mansion puzzles involving wells, wine bottles, fire hoses and... Well I can't say anything but it's obvious that if this game showed your face "Doom style", Doralice would slowly be turning to Richard Dean Anderson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MUSIC/SOUND NOTE: Dear readers: in the mansion, the cool but repetitive electronic ADLIB music from the boat has now been replaced with what I like to call "SOUNDBLASTER BIRDS" and it's actually relaxing in a weird way...

      I kind of remember the jungle sounds in Zak McKracken being better, but it's a similar vibe. There have been other games that did this, as well.

      Delete
    2. For reference (this game has a number of sound/animated things that are better experienced than described), this is the "switch to soundblaster birds" moment in Lost in Time:

      https://youtu.be/hG74MKyGV0Y?t=745

      And this is how the original MS-DOS version of Zak McKracken (a game I've yet to complete) sounds in the jungle:

      https://youtu.be/gKlZzAWIlJc?t=4929

      But I suspect Michael refers to the sounds of the enhanced version:

      https://youtu.be/wEkPsfanmo8?t=1649

      I just noticed Lost in Time, in all its style-mixing glory, combines samples of actual birds with "emulation" of said sounds via ADLIB.

      Delete
    3. I think I said before, but even with the graphics being all over the place and the plot being a bit of a mess, I remember finding the puzzle-solving to be unusually satisfying. Not even really that the puzzles were especially clever or logical, just that they were structured in ways where you generally felt you were moving forward. It might be frustrating to discover that there's three more steps and four more inventory items, but each step along the way felt like there was accomplishment happening.

      Delete
    4. but you keep going back to play! Your entries are appearing a few days after the last one, which I believe it's a good sign. We must remember there are games in this blog that reviewers take several months to go back to or even end up abandoning!

      To be fair, if we ignore the one mainline game that has essentially been abandoned (just not officially recognized as such), we've been making much better progress lately.

      My gameplay sessions have been shorter -- a half hour or so -- but it takes hours to properly write that up. Recreating my thoughts from the screenshots, deciding how to write it, and even coming up with the (I hope) witty comments and captions. That's what takes the long time for these posts, and I imagine every other reviewer would echo my thoughts.

      But I've just been blessed; my work schedule is a little different for the summer, so I'm taking advantage of that right now. :)

      Delete
    5. I dunno, the story doesn't strike me as any worse than a lot of much better received games so far. Especially since time travel plots never make much sense to begin with and this one, at least so far, seems to be going the Terminator route.

      Also, personally, the real pictures, while different, aren't bad. Helps that the game doesn't really mix the two at all, you're either looking at 3D or real pictures. Unless your studio name is Cyan, you tended not to mix the two very well in 1993.

      Delete
  2. By the way, I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I watched the whole speech of the president in Independence Day following your link and I couldn't help but laugh at the end. It's so good and bad simultaneously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything he does is so good, in a campy way. May I recommend Spaceballs as a follow-up?

      Delete
  3. Serious question: Is there any other graphic adventure (or game, for that matter) that starts with the player having a considerable inventory and then jumps to the flashback after a while where you get to pick up said items?

    I suspect this is unique to Lost in Time for better or worse. And I have also started suspecting recently (while reading this playthrough) that this was not their original plan... I believe they probably started the game with the horse. Maybe they thought the boat section was too long and decided to put the mansion/cliffs in the middle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something similar, but as a subversion, in Andrew Plotkin's Spider and Web, where you have to deliberately avoid collecting things in the flashback that are needed for the second half of the game

      Delete
    2. There is a game where the player starts with a considerable inventory, and then loses it about 30 seconds into gameplay to the arch-enemy hands of a Mr. LeGrand. And this is just after a (brief) flashback during storytelling around a campfire.

      Delete
  4. About the sudden style switch from 3D to pictures of real life scenarios, yes, it's a bit unfortunate but at the same time, I believe each part looks fine in its own, so it's like one of these comic books that have different artists when they do a flashback... in a way? No? Hmm, okay. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonus points for the non-US readers: why did I choose this title for the post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well obviously because of the song Horse with No Name from the band America, which has a similar lyrics with "desert" instead of "villa" part (I had to look that up because I wasn't sure!). Let's listen to it to perhaps remember some Space Quest or Quest for Glory sections:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na47wMFfQCo

      I'm into alternative American music, so I prefer the great homages to popular American music that the band Ween has been creating for the last decades. This one, for example, resembles a bit of Losing my Religion and Horse with No Name but with trippy lyrics (the substances they use "to inspire creativity" must be generous, but probably different than say, the Inca series creators, lol):

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzZAPagFF_o

      Delete
    2. Being such a fan of Cocktel Vision, it isn't surprising that you like the band Ween...

      Delete
  6. Soap shavings: Soap can definitely be used as a lubricant in this way (although usually you'd be working with a bar). You might, for example, rub soap on the threads of a wood screw to make it easier to screw in. (Although since some soaps attract moisture, it can be better to use something like beeswax instead.) The major ingredient of plain pure soap is a vegetable or animal fat. When you add sodium hydroxide you get a chemical reaction that produces the soap (saponification).

    Dart board: It is a bit weird, but perhaps it's not hanging there all the time, merely being used as an impromptu corkboard so they could have something to attach the note to?

    "Too much sulfur in this idea" sounds like it might be a clunky translation into English of a French idiom? Just a guess, I don't actually know of one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So the previous owner of the mansion died in 1840 and Doralice is only taking ownership around the time the game was released. It's not unheard of that sorting out things like that can take years, but one and a half centuries is just way too much time.

    Apparently "Jolly Jumper" went completely over your head. (Or was the joke about the horse not smoking meant to be a subtle recognition of the reference?) The other horse response "wild or time" is either a typo or a bad attempt to make (or translate) a joke about the fact that this game involves time travel.

    Speaking of smoking, are there any adventure games where you have to smoke to solve puzzles? (Dallas Quest is kinda borderline in that puzzle-solving certainly involves smoking, but it's not your character who has to do it.)

    In a similar vein, are there any adventures where you solve puzzles by cruelty to animals? (Again, Dallas Quest may or may not qualify depending on what exactly you want to count as cruelty.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Space Quest IV, you need to smoke to solve a puzzle. But do you need to smoke in Lost in Time? I believe you simply have a pack of cigarettes.

      Delete
    2. The other horse response "wild or time" is either a typo or a bad attempt to make (or translate) a joke about the fact that this game involves time travel

      Oops, that's a typo. The word is tame.

      Delete
    3. Does the cigar in DOTT count as a smoking puzzle? ;)

      Delete
    4. As for the puzzles with cruelty to animals, there are plenty of games where you have an annoying dog, such as Pepper's Adventures in Time. Since dogs are deformed (pugs can't even breathe properly) wolves created by humans by artificial selection (why did you think there are no wild packs of chihuahuas?), any game portraiting "having a dog" (i. e. kidnapping a deformed animal at birth for fun) as something fun is techinically fomenting animal abuse (and that's without even mentioning how dog breeders kill millions yearly when they don't get to sell them).

      At least cats are very close to a real animal species that used to live in Egypt and probably still does. And don't try to "play" with people in parks, or leave city streets full of "wonderful gifts".

      Moral of the story: Don't have an animal for fun, animals are only happy in the wild. Dogs and cats believe you are their mum or dad (mental abuse in case someone is doubtful), and dog's bark is not even natural as they're trying to imitate human speech. So if you really need to kidnap an animal at birth for fun, have a cat, which is more cute, intelligent and annoying to others.

      And now we go back to our regular schedule; my next comment will be about games based on movies.

      Delete
    5. @zxcvb depends on your definition of animals. Does fantasy creatures count? We slay dragons and stuff all the time.

      In LSL2, you have to shove a stick into the mouth of a snake to keep it from eating you. The snake limps off, hurt both physically and emotionally. I guess that counts, and I'm sure we can find examples like that elsewhere. We can only be cruel to animals we don't like. ;)

      Delete
    6. Although they are not puzzles, in early LucasFilm Games you can be an animal murder if you wish. Like cooking until explosion point a hamster or slaying a nice little three headed squirrel

      Delete
    7. Don't forget turning your pet goldfish Sushi into sashimi by running the garbage disposal...

      Delete
    8. Torbjörn Andersson14 July 2023 at 22:02

      "are there any adventures where you solve puzzles by cruelty to animals?"

      The first thing that came to my mind was the skink in Trinity (Brian Moriarty, Infocom). So it would have died anyway if you hadn't intervened, but it sure seems like the game wants you to think about exactly what you are doing.

      >XVYY FXVAX
      Gur gval yvmneq jevgurf va lbhe tenfc naq pynjf ng lbhe svatref, vgf cvax zbhgu tnfcvat sbe oerngu. Lbh fdhrrmr uneqre naq uneqre hagvy lbhe svfg gerzoyrf jvgu gur rssbeg.

      Gur fxvax fgbcf fdhvezvat.

      It's not the only animal to die on- or off-screen in Trinity - it is a pretty bleak game - but it's mostly out of your power to stop it. In this case you're personally responsible.

      Delete
    9. More of a platform puzzler, but the prequel game to The Company of Myself, Fixation, revolves entirely around using cigarettes to solve puzzles.

      Delete
    10. And you would not be able to solve Police Quest 2 without Keith, and Keith is a chain-smoker. Ergo, smoking is necessary to win the game.

      [/end logic]

      Delete
    11. There is a puzzle in Noctropolis where you have to up and murder a dog.

      Delete
  8. Wow, that glitch with the pin wasn't just a SCUMMVM error, then?

    Complaining about chariot strikes me as a little nit-picky, since even just as text you could figure out what it really means. I just checked, and while it doesn't refer to anything special with a cannon (like the Halyard), in French it seems to be the generic term for a cart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't complaining, so much as mentioning it because, perhaps I was misunderstanding it's use or intention in the game. So I covered my bases, so to speak. I suspect that you are right, that it is meant as a basic cart or wagon, which means that it is a poor choice of word for the translation.

      Delete
    2. Wow, that glitch with the pin wasn't just a SCUMMVM error, then?

      I tried both ScummVM and DOSBox. It's a similar mouseover glitch in both. I'm pretty sure that it's just sloppy handling of the hot spots. If I move the mouse in a vertical direction, it doesn't usually call the area of the screen a pin. But move the cursor left or right from the other pins, and it doesn't register the change.

      I don't know if there will be a puzzle there after I finish the flashback, but if there isn't, it's just not great programming.

      Delete
    3. In older times it was common to call the frame carrying a gun a gun carriage, but not chariot. This could be why the word was maybe incorrectly translated into chariot, as both refer to a vehicle drawn by horses. For the ship's cannon I think the more correct term is "cradle" as it is not intended for long distance transport, just holding the gun in place. I agree it's not very jarring just very prominent.

      Delete
  9. Okay, so I have been thinking about how few graphic adventures have been made based on movies or series. From 1985 to 2000:

    - Labyrinth: The Computer Game
    - The Black Cauldron
    - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    - The Dark Half
    - Hook
    - Inspector Gadget: Mission 1 - Global Terror!
    - Star Trek: 25th Anniversary
    - Star Trek: Judgement Rites
    - Star Trek: The Next Generation – A Final Unity
    - Beavis and Butt-Head in Virtual Stupidity
    - The Pink Panther: Passport to Peril
    - The City of Lost Children
    - The Simpsons: Virtual Springfield
    - The Pink Panther: Hokus Pokus Pink
    - Blade Runner
    - The X-Files Game
    - Star Trek: Hidden Evil

    And that's it! La Abadía del Crimen, Gateway and Discword were based on books, there's an Akira game for the NES with barely any real interaction, and there's the Dune game where adventure is almost nonexistent. If we move backwards in time, we could probably find some Gremlims text adventure, and if we move forward, we have the Telltale The Walking Dead games (which I haven't played, but I suspect to be too easy).

    About the list itself, there's a bit of everything: some classics, some hidden gems, some terrible games, some "good idea, but" ones... But most importantly, they're not enough. The list should be bigger.

    And I would personally expand it by paying the money I don't have to buy the IPs and hire the programmers to create MS-DOS graphic adventures of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars: The Last Hope, The Goonies, Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run, some of the best James Bond movies because Operation Stealth is not enough, Ghostbusters, Willow, Stargate, MacGuyver himself, the A Team, Knight Rider... I would even be interested in a Superman graphic adventure (where of course you control Clark Kent after losing your powers due to kryptonite).

    At the moment I can't think of any drama or horror movie/series that would work. But franchises like the X Files could have multiple games instead of the only title released, and Fringe could have one or two too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a Batman Returns adventure game in 1992.

      Delete
    2. Part of the reason why there isn't a lot more games in that list was revealed by the designers of Last Crusade: if you follow the movie too closely, the game is too easy, and people don't get their money's worth. If you deviate too far, people complain that the game takes too many liberties, and it hurts reviews and sales.

      Last Crusade did a fine job, by allowing for the movie solutions, bu giving extra points for following alternate paths and solving problems differently. It added some potential replay value as well, and they used that as a template for Fate, which was even better.

      TV series are a lot easier to write games for, because there can always be another episode or stuff that happens between the episodes.

      Also, as a footnote, almost added to the list should be Sam & Max, which was originally based on a comic book series, then spawned a TV show, and then more games.

      Delete
    3. There's also Wayne's World, Plan 9 From Outer Space and technically The Beverley Hillbillies, Emanuelle, Elvira and Psycho. After that it kind of depends on your definitions. Since you have Abadia del Crimen there, I guess one should also count the top-down adventures based off of The Great Escape and Nosferatu. Given that Abadia is unofficial, there were a whole bunch of unlicensed horror film adventures from the French, mostly from Ubisoft. Zombi and Hurlements were ones I covered, with Zombi nicely proving what Michael said about following the movie too closely.
      Given The City of Lost Children, we can also throw in some more sort of adventure games, like the Men in Black PC/PSX game, Highlander: Last of the MacLeods, and I guess maybe Parasite Eve, Sweet Home and the Blair Witch games. (I mean, I tend to be of the opinion that survival horror games share a ton of DNA with PnC games) I'm also pretty sure there are a few more Star Trek graphic adventures, but again, nebulous.
      Finally, before I stop throwing out names, looking through Japanese adventure games, there are a lot of licensed titles there, but because of the nature of how many were originally manga then a series/movie, but there are a lot of them.
      (reminder, this is just graphic adventures from the period mentioned, if we expand the period, we get a lot more fan games, including graphic adventures of Star Wars and Stargate SG-1, and to text we get ones based off of James Bond, Indy and MacGuyver)
      Looking between the ones I mentioned and the ones originally mentioned, I dunno, it seems like it's very heavily mixed, compared to just plain old graphic adventures. Some of the games I mentioned have negative reputations that are much more harsh than they really deserve, but if you're trying to make a good game it seems more ideal to instead aim for a spiritual license of whatever property you want rather than dealing with suits with arbitrary expectations.

      Delete
    4. Thanks, MorpheusKitami. The MacGuyver text adventure is Spanish and I didn't know it, lol. It looks like some guy simply took the license and even had the audacity to add a Copyright symbol next to his name. Seems like one of the multiple homebrew games for 8 bit computers from that era, but I will probably play it. There are no scans of the box art or instructions.

      (There are a bunch of interesting adventures in Spanish, mostly text, but I'm not a great fan... except for a sci-fi one called Megacorp where strangely the puzzles are quite logical and you rarely die or end in a dead end... Try that one if you want to learn Spanish).

      (I started Igor and didn't finish it).

      Delete
    5. Toonstruck was based on the Happy Fluffy Bun-Bun Show :)

      on a more serious note, much (all?) of the Telltale ouevre was based on licensed media, from web series like Homestar Runner, to indie comics like The Wolf Among Us and Bone, to classic animation like Wallace and Gromit.

      Delete
    6. "Star Trek graphic adventures, but again, nebulous"...nice!

      Telltale games are closer to graphic novels in my opinion, but the definitions of graphic adventure and graphic novel are very close and a lot of the time it boils down to personal preference which you consider which.

      Delete
    7. Easy, a "graphic novel" is non-interactive static images typically printed on paper (but can be e.g. stored as digital image files). Being a type of comics, they employ conventions of the medium such as speech balloons and sequential panels. Examples include Watchmen, Maus and Persepolis.

      A "graphic adventure" belongs in the eponymous genre of video games, which are a type of interactive computer software. You cannot print a piece of software on paper (or turn it into an image file) without making it essentially noninteractive (notwithstanding craziness like having printed out the source code and carrying out the program computations by hand, or loading it back into a computer).

      Not to be confused with graphic novels, visual novels are another type of computer software that, unlike graphic novels, can be considered to overlap with graphic adventure games.

      Delete
    8. I mean Telltale games are closer to visual novels of course, thank you for pointing that out.

      Delete
  10. Is there any graphic adventure (or video game in general) based on a disaster movie? Probably not.

    But the Independence Day references made me check Roland Emmerich's filmography on Rotten Tomatoes (an amazing collection of green splashed tomato icons) and a few things caught my attention: 1) he's the guy who made Stargate (stealing the plot illegally from some book and then paying 50K to the author to avoid the trial) and 2) he made Moonfall in 2022.

    Moonfall looked like the kind of bad movie I would love to see, so I decided to watch it after "obtaining" it by the usual methods. And I must recommend it to anyone who enjoys so-bad-it's-good movies. It's Armageddon on steroids.

    If anyone knows more so-bad-it's-good disaster movies, feel free to recommend. But I don't want Sharkandos, I need the movies to try to be good as they're the most fun in the end. For now I have discovered Dante's Peak, The Core and Left Behind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1991: The band Ween releases the album "The Pod", featuring the songs "Stallion (part 1)" and "Stallion (part 2)".
    1992: Coktel Vision releases the video game "Ween".
    1993: The band Ween releases the album "Pure Guava", featuring the song "Stallion (part 3)".
    1993: Coktel Vision releases the video game "Lost in Time", featuring a "handsome stallion".
    1994-1999: The band Ween releases the songs "Stallion (part 4)" and "Stallion (part 5)" as part of different B-sides compilations.

    2023: I create a playlist with all the Stallions, post it in The Adventurers Guild and wonder if it would have been a good soundtrack for this section of the game:

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRRRWsjnySIYBczbX1XlcKjJ7lGlay_6k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is genius and of clear historic significance.

      Delete
    2. Wild horses couldn't keep me away from this playlist.

      Delete
  12. Out of curiosity, I checked the French, English and Spanish versions of Lost in Time to see how they handled tranlsation in some key sentences (by watching longplays on Youtube):

    1) It looks like "handsome stallion" is the same in EN, ES and FR ("bel étalon" and "bello semental"). FUN FACT: I checked the word "stallion" in several languages and Spanish seems to be the only one including the word "semen" on it, while English and French use more subtlety by linking the word to "stall", as stallions are horses you keep in the "stall" because of its male sexual power. "Semental" seems to mean "which has semen", while "stallion" seems to mean "which is in the stall".

    2) Most importantly, the original French version of the game uses the word "sulfureuse" ( https://youtu.be/UtOLMyAaWeE?t=5067 ), which has secondary meanings of "scandalous" ( https://www.wordreference.com/fren/sulfureuse ), hence the lost-in-translation joke: the Spanish version uses a literal translation where the joke is lost because of the missing secondary meaning in ES ( https://youtu.be/wibvqgrWMe0?t=723 ) and the English version seems to be worse ( https://youtu.be/hG74MKyGV0Y?t=906 ), as they adapt "a sulfurous idea" as "too much sulfur in this idea" (?!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "too much sulfur in this idea" (?!).
      Well, that explains that one. I guess there WAS too much sulfur in the translation, because it stinks. :P

      Delete
    2. As a freelance translator who has worked in some (shitty) games, I would have definitely had Doralice say: "It's melting for me... How romantic!". It looks like that idiom works both in English and in Spanish, and probably in a few more languages.

      Delete
    3. As I suspected, then, a clunky translation of an idiom. The pun with the battery acid being sulfuric acid makes more sense now.

      Delete