Friday 7 July 2023

Lost in Time - My Heart Will Go On

By Michael

Now that introductions and wagers are out of the way, let’s talk game history.

Just one year before Lost in Time was released, a brand new software company named id Software revolutionized first-person games, with the shareware publication of Wolfenstein 3D through Apogee Software. The next year, Coktel Vision would make an adventure game in the same perspective, but without the smooth motion animation or, I guess, enemy soldiers running to shoot you while shouting “spy!” in German.
Spion! Spion!
So far, I’m not impressed from a technical standpoint, when a shareware game released on a single 3.5” floppy felt more powerful than this game. Wolfenstein included even a few spoken words, which wasn’t that revolutionary -- a 1991 adventure game did the same thing on floppy disks as well.Another unusual feature lacking -- support for the MT-32. Sierra had been championing the system for years at this point, and all of their games from the SCI0 engine until they went Windows-only supported the device, and many games had phenomenal soundtracks. So, I find it a little odd that they didn’t require support for the device when they published the game on behalf of their subsidiary.

Okay, so perhaps it sounds like I’m nitpicking here. Don’t worry, I’m just letting off some meaningless steam before I pick on the game content a little. You see, the game started to annoy me in small, minimal ways almost from the start, and I’m hoping it doesn’t continue through the rest of the story.

When I finished my last post, I had found a nail on the underside of a stool, and, conveniently, Doralice was carrying around a pair of pliers, so it was easily extracted.
This is the only decoration in the holds of the ship
On the far wall is a poster, and looking at it tells you it is dated 1840... but it’s currently 1992, so why does it look new and in good condition?
Perhaps a hint of what to do next?
I tried to click the poster again, to perhaps better read it or take it for my inventory, but instead, it tells me that you hear sounds from behind it. Is someone there? It won’t let me take the poster, so I’ll have to find a way to remove it probably. I try all the things in my inventory on it, but nothing seems to work against the strong, 1840s-quality paper.

There’s also an empty bucket in the view, but you can’t do anything with it right now.

By moving the mouse cursor to the sides of the screen, it will change to arrows going either left or right. As it turns out, you stand still, and each move just turns your viewing direction around the circle for this room, more or less. So, I look left.
Land of Confusion
I want you to remember the last three words on the screen, because I will refer to them later in one of my complaints. But for now, let’s look around the screen to see what we can do here.

I see a couple of barrels, and a locked chest. Looking behind one of the barrels, I find a lantern. That will probably be useful. Looking at the chest (or box, as they call it) brings up a lock.
I tried to level up my lockpicking skills, but it was snot to be.
So, this is my first lock I’ve encountered in the game, but she’s acting as though I’ve been doing this all game long. Is this bad scripting, or meant to be a hint at something she’s done in the past?

I try my entire inventory on the lock. The nail gets a sarcastic response “As if it would work...”, the pliers are an “..excellent idea, but it doesn’t work”, the acid solution isn’t strong enough, and the pipe and lantern also do nothing. I was so expecting the nail to work. After all, that’s how MacGuyver would have done it.

I have a moment of inspiration: can I use inventory objects on other objects? Yes, but the interface is a little annoying to get used to. Let me explain: The quick way to access your inventory is to click your right mouse button. But, doing that drops any item you are currently holding. So, while I’d already got in the habit of using the mouse button, I had to use the menu icon for this task instead. I was wondering, could I do something to the nail to make it work for the lock?

I right-click to bring up the inventory, and then select the pliers. I then bring the mouse cursor to the top of the screen, find and select the inventory icon, and click the pliers on the nail. It bends the nail for me.
Is this the person she is referring to?
So it doesn’t work in the lock. I try to combine it with other things, like using the pliers to hold it, but to no avail. I really, really hope that I did not just ruin a nail that I’ll need later just now, because if this is a dead man walking scenario, I will be so annoyed.

Doralice, at my beck and call, continues left (or, counter-clockwise, if you prefer).
This is a barrel of fun so far
Here’s a scene where the game really started to bug me. So far, she doesn’t know where she is. How, then, does she know at this point that she is on a ship, and that this specific ship has been wrecked in the past?

I’ll spoil something from later in this post -- she will ask someone if this is a boat. So, her knowing this information already in this view is, again, lazy scripting. She can’t know information she hasn’t learned yet.

Back to the scene, when you try to check out the barrels, the game comments that it’s “real dark back there”. So, let’s try clicking our trusty lantern on the barrels, and we can look behind them now.
Green? That had better not be mold.
I found a sponge there. I’m sure it will be useful, when I’m caught on the ship and have to swab the decks.
Guess they’ve been using it a lot.
In front of those barrels is a bucket. Looking inside, there’s water.
Water, water everywhere.
If I click on the water, I’m told that I see a reflection of myself, but the image shows nothing. Am I a vampire then?

Again, inspiration, just because. I have no specific use in mind, but what happens if I use the sponge on the water?
Yet another Dad joke.
That worked. What else can I dip in the water? Apparently, the pipe. So, the pipe must be closed at one end, because now I have a pipe filled with water.

So, looking around some more, and ignoring the hole going down for a second, I click on the support beam in the middle of the room, and I’m treated to a view of a hatch.
Once again, I’ll ask: how does she know that’s the way out? She says it so confidently.

There’s another puzzle to solve, then. Making the beam less slippery so you can climb it. Looking in my inventory, I see the acid, but that has no effect. Nor does scratching it with the nail, or any other items, so I’ll come back to it.

Since I’ve now walked around this entire room, I’ll take the pathway down.
“Down there”? Don’t you mean “Down here”?
Look! More barrels!

The one in the middle smells of rum, but nothing I have can open or manipulate the barrel. The one on the right has treasure inside, however. It’s open, on its side, and contains a bottle.
I hope it’s not partially hydrogenated.
I’ve found a bottle of palm oil, mostly full. Personally, I’d prefer olive oil, but if we need to sauté something, I’ve got this game solved. But again, your young lady is concerned with the wrong things. She’s woken up with a headache, doesn’t know where she is or what to do, but picking up a bottle of oil, she remarks: “It’s from the Island of St. Cristobald. Where could that be? The date on it is 1840... It’s nearly full!”
Except, again, in an Al Lowe game.
Moving further right are some chains attached to the wall, but there’s nothing I can seemingly do with them right now.
I found a sump pump from the 1800s.
I found a pump, and even though I don’t have a reason to use it, it’s there, so I have to play with it. But it won’t work, so I try my tool on it.
We need time, love, and tenderness.
We have some cooking oil with us, but oil is oil, so let’s try that instead.
 I saved the ship from sinking from the water, but isn’t it going to be shipwrecked anyway?
Nothing else to do down here, the pump did its job, and I still can’t open the barrel of alcohol to get me through this game, so I’ll go back upstairs and work on one of my other puzzles. I have new inventory items (the oil and the wet sponge), which are useless for the lock, but, out of desperation, do either of them do anything to the poster?
The nail can’t damage the poster, the acid won’t work either, but bring an old sponge that’s damp, and the poster disappears. Oh, okay. That makes perfect sense.
This is knot what I expected to find here.
A knot in the wood, and it’s soft. That makes me think we can open it up somehow, drill it out, something. I try the obvious inventory items, nothing works. So I’m stuck. I quit the game, walk outside for a while, and then regroup and search everywhere, top to bottom.
Of course it was in the last place you looked! Once you found it, you stopped looking!
I hadn’t thought to look at the chain downstairs again after I had drained the water, I guess. So here’s a corkscrew. Thinking it has drilling properties, being a twisted nail, essentially, I tried it on the barrel of rum. Nope. Then I tried it on the lock.
Now, I’m mad. It looks like it might work, but the game is telling me not to worry about opening the chest now. Why couldn’t you have told me that ages ago?

At this point, I’m just clicking things on other things, because logic is already gone. So going back to the knot in the wall, even though the nail and pliers failed, let’s try the corkscrew.
I’d whine about this, but it would be cheesy.
And so a hole has been revealed. And here comes some major plot exposition, along with more game inconsistencies.
 I’ve waited for a hole lot of time.
Looking through the hole, you spot a slave that has been shackled to the floor. You have a long conversation with him. Instead of transcribing it, I’ll post the screenshots, so you can see the artwork. In some of the screens, the art was animated, such as the fire in the screen that is engulfed by it. I really do appreciate the attention paid to little details like that.
So we’re learning a lot about the game story now. You’ve met a slave named Yoruba, a man of Egyptian descent, who is tasked by family lineage to guard a treasure. “It must be the box with the Egyptian sarcophagus.” Where? Where did we see a box with such markings? When we look at the treasure chest, we aren’t given a description, just a closeup of the lock.

“We are on a ship, aren’t we?” This is the line I was referring to before. She didn’t know she was on a boat at all, until now, so how did she know the specific boat she was on earlier, and that it would be shipwrecked?

The ship belongs to a man named Jarlath de la Pruneliere. Wait... isn’t that Doralice’s last name? If you remove that ‘e’ from the end, I mean. Hmm.

“Jarlath? I am here because of him!” Um, wait, again, so far from what the game has told us, you don’t know how you got here or, until just now, where you were. So, how could you know this?

“...because I have a knife!” Which, in that picture, is being held by another actor. Because suddenly, the deep color of the Black slave is now a bright white, for this picture. Oops, they used the wrong actor for this photo.

And soon after, even though Yoruba is shackled to the ship, many feet away from the hole he made to talk to you, he can walk over to hand you the knife?
Speaking as an average man, I can tell you there are certain places we would NEVER store a knife. (Image © 2015 by Alex, from his TAG playthrough of Police Quest 3. Used without permission. No rights reserved.)
Impressively, he hands you the knife handle first. I have over 20 years of restaurant management in my background, and every single employee needs to be taught this over and over.
This seems like an excellent time to pause the gameplay, because this entry is getting a bit long. I’m only 6% done? Hmmm. The gameplay time isn’t right, however, that’s just since I last started the game, so I’ll have to manage that the old-fashioned way. (I had saved and quit to take a break, and then returned. The time is from when I returned.)

Session Time: 23 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes

Inventory: Lamp, Wet Sponge, Twisted Nail, Knife, Corkscrew, Acid Solution, Pliers, Water (actually, the pipe filled with water, but that’s how they list it)

Note Regarding Spoilers and Companion Assist Points: There’s a set of rules regarding spoilers and companion assist points. Please read it here before making any comments that could be considered a spoiler in any way. The short of it is that no points will be given for hints or spoilers given in advance of me requiring one. Please...try not to spoil any part of the game for me...unless I really obviously need the help...or I specifically request assistance. In this instance, I've not made any requests for assistance. Thanks!

43 comments:

  1. Yes, but unlike Wolfenstein, Lost in Time is fun and doesn't involve getting lost in a Swastika shaped labyrinth for hours on end.

    As I'm further ahead than you, let me explain how this game is setting this up. It makes sense, but it doesn't quite work since we're supposed to be following the perspective of Doralice. (you can read this after you meet a certain character)

    Fb Qbenyvpr tbg frag onpx gb gur cnfg gunaxf gb n zna fur zrg va gur cerfrag ba n fuvcjerpxrq fuvc ba ure arj cebcregl. Guvf vf jul fur pna thrff gung fur'f ba n fuvc. Lbh frr, sebz ure crefcrpgvir, fur jnf ba n fuvcjerpxrq fuvc bar zbzrag, gura nccrnerq fbzrjurer ryfr gur arkg. Urapr jul fur thrffrf gung fur'f ba n fuvc, fur qbrfa'g arprffnevyl xabj gung, fur'f whfg ba gung senzr bs zvaq orpnhfr bs cerivbhf guvatf.

    So, not lazy scripting, just natural confusion. And it works a bit too well. As to the way out, I assume merely an awkward translation, it is the only way up after all.

    The poster and the knot very much do have logic to them. Chipping away at something glued to a wall would be a long and tedious process, and the acid would likely damage the poster. Water, presumably just loosens whatever glue is attaching it there. The knot, meanwhile, well, if you've ever tried to get something out of a tight hole, you need a lot of leverage, the nail wouldn't provide that and the pliers can't get that leverage. I have experience with both of these things, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poster and the knot very much do have logic to them. Chipping away at something glued to a wall would be a long and tedious process

    The modern person I am, I forgot about the days of old, where a poster would be plastered completely to a wall or other surface. In 1840, scotch tape wouldn't exist yet, so it wouldn't be attached at just the corners. So, indeed, you are right about the poster.

    But they describe the knot as soft, so it should have been enough to stick the nail in, and pull out with the pliers. I'm also further along, and like many other games of the era, there are puzzles where you have to use a specific item, even though others would suffice in the real world.

    So, not lazy scripting, just natural confusion.

    This game has both. In this post, the example of her knowing that she's on a ship that is destined to be shipwrecked, and then asking someone if she's on a ship, and being told what ship it is afterwards sticks out to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd make the point that it might work, but it might also just break bits off from the knot, leaving bits you can't reach, and thus creating a dead end. You want to get leverage over as much of it as possible, which is why the corkscrew makes sense, and why the nail isn't necessarily the right choice. Even things that are soft are not necessarily easy to get out of a tight place.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Michael for an entertaining read. You're playing the game fast and you try to view the negatives and positives, even if you went a bit overboard with the former (I'll go into that later). And you insert some silly/clever wordplays, which is always nice.

    Thanks also MorpheusKitami for playing along and praising the game. Your reply to the Wolf 3D affair ("Yes, but unlike Wolfenstein, Lost in Time is fun") is quite stunning and I'm sure many readers will start playing intrigued by it. And you're also doing a good job by clarifying plot and puzzle aspects. I do however must say that Wolfenstein 3D is indeed fun in its own way, even if that involves escaping from multiple nazi mazes. Coincidentally I played both games in the good old days of '97 as they were both on the same batch of pirate CD, and back then I finished Wolfenstein 3D, but not Lost in Time (got stuck in the mansion!).

    I will be addressing each aspect commented by Michael in future comments as it will be easy to read and reply to. As a general comment, I would recommend Michael to enjoy the interactivity of the game without letting the absurd plot ruin it. There will be brute forcing, but at least you will do it in some nice looking environments and with some nice background sounds and music.

    Hopefully the 3 of us can form a nice team and complement each other in the playthrough, as Michael has a critical vision that we 2 lack (for better or worse), MorpheusKitami is also seeing things that Michael doesn't and I have finished the damn game 3 times and can provide a key hint later to avoid a lot of frustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may not seem as obvious, but I am keeping an open mind and I am looking forward to seeing whatever story was written. But it is so darn easy to make fun of parts of this.

      Admittedly, along with wordplay, I am a big believer in the Sir Terry Pratchett writing style, so I have a lot of fun with using random links to emphasize certain statements and photo captions. This is what is delaying me from finishing the next post :)

      Delete
    2. That means that you will ask to do the playthrough of the Discworld games?

      Delete
  4. The first thing I would like to address is your indirect question about dead ends. You mention you're a bit scared of potential dead ends. Well, don't be! Coktel Vision games don't have dead ends EXCEPT for a couple of weird situations. Fascination is the worse offender with 2 clear walking dead situations, but at least the game warns you not to leave the hotel without a key item for one of them. For the second, it's getting out of the bathroom without building a weapon at the end of the game, so it's pretty clear that you've messed up.

    So the only dead end in Lost in Time is basically a terrible timed sequence in the infamous tropical island section at the end. When you're in a hut with a shaman woman, you basically have to complete a puzzle in like 15 seconds, so if you decide to save in the middle with not enough actions completed, you're screwed. I had to restart the game as I only had one save... ouch!

    But the rest is fine. So I hope you can feel better knowing that you can relax in this regard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping you didn't spoil something for me there, lest I have to admonish you with the TAG powers-that-be to back me up. ;)

      But I am glad to hear that I did not enter a walking dead scenario -- it wasn't clear from the limited reading I did ahead of time. I was looking to avoid spoilers.

      Delete
    2. Nope, no spoilers there. I mean, that puzzle is the only thing you can possibly do at that point as you're in a small map and the game is even telling you "you need to do X" via dialogs.

      I think I understand your question, as perhaps this could have been a more complex situation with multiple huts and characters roaming around, so that the idea of doing that 15 second puzzle in that shaman woman hut was an original one that you had to came up with yourself.

      Yes, you have to came up with HOW to do the puzzle as usual, but it really is the only thing you can do as you're "trapped" Fascination style at that point.

      Delete
    3. I haven't played their '80s games, but I suspect those have some more dead ends than their '90s games. I know Galactic Empire, which came at a transition period, still had dead ends, though that was one of their stranger efforts.

      Anyway...
      Vg'f abg dhvgr gehr gung guvf tnzr bayl unf bar qrnq raq, gurer'f nabgure ng gur svfurezna'f uhg. Vs lbh guebj gur oernq ba gur ebbs bs gur uhg jvgubhg svefg chggvat gur fnhpr ba vg, lbh'er fperjrq. V svtherq gung ovg bhg orsber V ernyvmrq lbh unq gb cbhe fbzrguvat ba vg.

      Delete
    4. Thanks again, MorpheusKitami! Yeah, I was referring to their games starting with Gobliiins 1 and Fascination. I prefer to believe their previous games are demos, lol (at least the graphic adventures).

      The dead end you mention, if true, is one I personally never experienced, but I believe you are probably correct... I suspect this is a case of having very few items in your inventory and having 2 of them that clearly combine, so throwing one of them away is perhaps not an option most players (or at least I) would try.

      However, since I don't really want to try it myself because I finished my 3rd lifetime run with the game some months ago, could you try something just to make sure this is a dead end? (Probably not possible as you've already overwritten the save). Could you check if there is a way to pick up "more" of the item you "lose forever"? Because I seem to believe there was a way.

      Delete
    5. Ah, wait, you are correct, you can pick up the item again, I merely assumed I was at a dead end. Which was unfortunate as I hadn't saved for a while.

      Delete
    6. @Morpheus -- now that I've read your ROT13 comment above, I'll say that the game doesn't dead-end you there. I was able to grab another loaf of bread from the basket when I did the same thing as you. I did not try it 30 times in a row, so I don't know if there is a limit... but it is one of the things I will be praising in the final post.

      Delete
  5. The next thing I wanted to address is the elephant in the room: man, you can't compare Wolfenstein 3D and Lost in Time! They differ in everything except for the words "3D" and "MS-DOS".

    So yeah, I kindly disagree to what you said about the "3D graphics in 1992/93". Mostly because 1) Most Lost in Time screenshots look better than Wolfenstein 3D screenshots and 2) Lost in Time is not 3D, it's a combination of photographs, pixel art and pre-rendered still images that merges with video in some screen-to-screen transitions and object manpulations in the boat. The Wolf 3D engine doesn't have a floor or a roof and if you look closely, the textures are not as good as the pre-rendered boat in LiT.

    Wolf 3D moves faster, sure, and is uglier because it's a different kind of genre and is pseudo 3D instead of 2D (for example, in Wolf 3D there is no way to do a prerrendered animation where the character gets closer to the chest or the water bucket; and obviously in LiT you can't run freely in the boat killing nazi sailors).

    I believe a more proper comparison would be with similar games with pre-rendered screens, such as Myst (but Myst was not available on floppies! :P ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) Most Lost in Time screenshots look better than Wolfenstein 3D screenshots and 2) Lost in Time is not 3D, it's a combination of photographs, pixel art and pre-rendered still images that merges with video in some screen-to-screen transitions and object manpulations in the boat.

      At the point I had written that, I had only seen the boat. And I was referring in part to the zoom actions when you look closer at something or move.

      But the next post will definitely talk about the discrepancies between the scenes. The background art of the boat versus the villa, for example, are both jarring how different the quality of art is, but sometimes the effect of the different styles being combined (as others have mentioned, mixing digital items with scanned photography, and so on.)

      I believe a more proper comparison would be with similar games with pre-rendered screens, such as Myst (but Myst was not available on floppies! :P ).

      As much as I generally disliked Myst, one thing I cannot dispute is the beauty of the art. It won't be possible to avoid the comparisons especially considering the proximity of their release dates. Myst was a breathtaking game, even if I didn't enjoy the actual gameplay.

      Before you get scared that my dislike of Myst-clones will prejudice this review, I'll note that I've enjoyed some -- it's more about the story for me than anything else. The 1999 release of Faust is definitely my favorite. Based on sales, though, I'm one of the few. It was taking forever to be released in the states, so I actually ordered the game online from a European distributor back then, so I play the European version. (To the best of my knowlege, the only real difference is the name of the game.)

      Delete
    2. Arguably, Wolfenstein still has that problem of different pieces of art being jarring, albeit not as strongly as in Spear of Destiny. This isn't getting into the problem of how for a lot of games with 90-degree blocks, the developers didn't do a good job of using distinguishing areas from one another, thus making a rather unpleasant effect when you move around some areas. Which funnily enough, was only a problem with games like Wolfenstein that used bright textures as opposed to solidly colored walls that games before it used.

      Delete
  6. And then there's the UI, which as you pointed out, it's not as "perfect" as I believed and mentioned.

    You're right that the way to use one object with another is one of the biggest flaws: they should have left the inventory open when you select one object in case you want to try that and perhaps close it by clicking outside.

    And why not? They should also have added a "use everything with everything" button in the inventory. Trust me, you will understand that later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the next post, I will be dealing with gur vgrzf vafvqr gur cnpx bs pvtnerggrf. Gur ahzore bs gvzrf V unir pyvpxrq bhg bs gubfr vgrzf vagraqvat gb hfr bar bs gurz, vg jnf abg jryy qrfvtarq.
      (ROT-13 to avoid spoiling anyone playing along)

      Delete
    2. Haha, yeah! That pack of cigarettes. It probably appeared in some of my dreams the days I was completing the game. Honestly the idea is not bad and it appears like it's going to be a cool feature (two items inside one item, branching items), but you can't do that in a game where sometimes you have up to 20 objects at once and often there are no clues and you're on your MacGuyverish own (meaning you will use everything with everything).

      The game definitely could use some more "oh my gosh this object is broken! I better throw it away now" moments.

      Delete
    3. The game definitely could use some more "oh my gosh this object is broken! I better throw it away now" moments.

      So far, it's had those, but with items that could be useful for future puzzles! In this post, I hadn't noticed it at the time, but when I had to repair the pump, the game makes of point of telling me I only used a few drops of the oil for this -- and then, discards the oil right after! And in the next post, I'll need to lubricate something. That's just creating an extra puzzle for the sake of extending gameplay.

      Also in the next post, I use the knife. (The pun in that statement is very much intended, by the way.) And again, the knife disappears from my inventory immediately after. Ugh!

      Delete
  7. About the story, yeah, you're being a bit nitpicking, but let's be honest, finding plot holes is always fun! I don't predict a score higher than 2 or 3 in the story for this game.

    I believe the story creation process was something like "okay we have a boat and a mansion and lots of puzzles, what do we do to justify this? Time travel? Yeah, why not! And let's bring the girl from Fascination back!".

    I confess I searched for the actress name online after seeing some of the animations (of her legs) in the mansion. It turns out she only worked on this game... I found her Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and here's another thing I would like to mention, before I forget (again): I believe you mention Sierra several times as if they actually had some influence in this particular game, but I don't think it's the case. The 1992 Sierra-Coktel deal kept the creative relationship at minimum. The way I see it, the French guys did their thing and Sierra only published it in the USA, also taking advantage of some distributing network Coktel had in Europe.

    Of course, anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong. But yeah, I just wanted to point out that there is no use comparing Coktel games to Sierra because the development teams appeared to be totally independent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they mostly kept their teams apart. But the MT-32 thing was surprising to me, because by this point, support for it was was more or less an industry standard. And Sierra had a very big financial stake in it -- they were a major marketer of the devices. So for them to not ask for support to be added surprised me.

      That said, so far, the music hasn't risen to the level of quality or intensity that an MT-32 would be good for.

      Delete
  9. Here's another idea I had in mind and keep forgetting to post (so I will do it now): I'm not sure if you have mentioned in your review that each screenshot you see is joined to the next one with a video transition of the pre-rendered 3D boat. That moves a bit jerky, yeah, but I dunno... It looked cool at the time and I personlly still like it today. Even if Wolfenstein 3D moves faster! ;)

    I just wanted to mention this just in case because readers are probably looking at the screenshots without realizing they are "united by video" when you move from one to another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if you have mentioned in your review that each screenshot you see is joined to the next one with a video transition of the pre-rendered 3D boat.

      I'm not sure what you mean, but using your first music link below (I was careful only to watch as far as I've gotten), I don't see any such transition shots either. Perhaps this is something added in the CD version?

      Delete
    2. What I mean is: You're on the boat looking at some wall. You move the cursor to the left and the cursor changes, letting you know you can turn that way. You press the left mouse button et voilà! The game provides you with a sucession of prerrendered 3D images (or a "video") that transitions the screen you were in to the next screen.

      This is present in both the floppy and the CD version.

      Delete
    3. I've noticed that here in 2023, pseudo-3d adventure games with prerendered environments are almost completely unplayable to me if they don't have animated transitions; I get lost basically instantly. Even the most basic succession of images will keep me oriented, but if you just cut from one view to another, I'm lost. This is a shame because I loved, for example, Shivers, but it doesn't have any transitions so I find it really hard to play now.

      Delete
  10. Since I'm writing multiple messages, I might as well mention the different soundtracks in the floppy and CD versions.

    You see, some games go the usual route and the CD version just has the same songs with improved quality. Not with Coktel Vision, though. Coktel games have totally different songs (in my humble opinion much worse) in the CD version.

    Here's the difference for Lost in Time:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvvNDokuN6A

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTb-QCTQlUg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction: Not all Coktel Games, as I believe Inca 2 has the same songs. But at leat Fascination and Lost in Time do this.

      Delete
    2. I'm planning on visiting the CD versions at the end, but not until after I figure out the scoring at the end.

      So far, and I neglected to write this, the background music is mellow and unobtrusive, but almost too non-existent. It's not much better than no music at all. It doesn't set the mood for me, but it doesn't ruin it, either. I can't really put it into words yet.

      Delete
    3. Didn't Inca have the same songs, except for the one with the dude singing?
      Anyway, having been playing the CD version, I think the soundtrack there is pretty good, fits the mood quite nicely. From that bit of the floppy version, I'm definitely reminded of Ween's flawless soundtrack, I'll have to play around with that one a little bit.

      Delete
    4. Yeah, Ween sountrack is awesome. Charles Callet, who died in 1995, made the sountracks for Ween, Lost in Time and all the Gobliiins games. They are pretty good! He also released an actual electro pop album in the 80s. He's a pretty peculiar little guy who joined the scientology in his last years. He died of a rare and terrible disease. He also appears as an actor in the strange FMV adventure Urban Runner ( https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwXgbc1WkAISBgV?format=jpg&name=large ).

      The Inca soundtracks were made by a totally different guy whose life is not as interesting, but they're still quite fun. The Inca 2 ADLIB sountrack was only uploaded to youtube in 2022, I recommend checking it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgW6QAZirpA

      And finally there's the Fascination soundtrack, some little funky tunes that fit the mood perfectly (at least in the floppy version because this is one of these cases where the CD songs are different and for me, much worse). And the guy who made them used the name "MOBY", but he's not the famous Moby.

      It looks like one Youtube channel uploaded a longplay for both floppy and CD versions of Fascination. I recommend checking them out too to see the audio differences (I take the ADLIB music and no shitty voices any day, but that's me):

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOCRUGzy1yg

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VapvyIgmZk0

      Delete
  11. Huh, the guy's personal name is Yoruba? He's not just saying what people he's from? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_people)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why are African countries flags so great? Like, really. They look so awesome compared to European flags.

      Delete
    2. Here are some examples:
      Seychelles:
      https://flagsworld.org/img/cflags/seychelles-flag.png
      Eswatini:
      https://flagsworld.org/img/cflags/eswatini-swaziland-flag.png
      Zimbabwe:
      https://flagsworld.org/img/cflags/zimababwe-flag.png
      Mpumalanga province in South Africa:
      https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/93/Flag_of_Mpumalanga_Province.svg/1200px-Flag_of_Mpumalanga_Province.svg.png

      Delete
    3. Maybe he was just indicating that he used to be a driver for a popular rideshare company.

      /zoidbergs away

      Delete
  12. I think your early complaints about the muddled storytelling are warranted here, but I also wouldn't be surprised if lots of it comes down to the English translation not being given all the care and attention it would be by today's standards.

    Still, there's much less excuse for the mismatched skin colour on that hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The delivery has been clumsy, and I've enjoyed Michael's commentary to that end. The set up is effective enough, though, I think - our heroine is quick to pledge support for a stranger in need, so I'm instinctively rooting for both of them.

      Delete
    2. I hope I don't come off as being completely against the game; I'd hate for that to be the impression you get. I mentioned I have 20+ years of restaurant management experience, and one of the common problems in that line of work, is that you spend so, so much time dealing with the bad behaviors of the employees that you don't spend enough time praising the good ones, which are a lot more rare and need to be praised constantly to help encourage them being repeated.

      Delete
    3. Maybe the problem is that this is a game more suitable to play silently than to write about it. I mean If I think about it, I can be a good writer myself. And if I start writing stuff about Coktel Vision games as I play them, analyzing each plot detail and actors inserted over drawings... Well it's going to look like I hate my hobby and people my ask: "Why do you play then?".

      I guess I could try to describe the cool ADLIB music, which I'm a fan of, but... What can you write about an electronic tune you like? Not much if you're not a musician and lack the proper words to describe sounds and structures.

      Same with the graphics, do they sometime look bad? Yeah, they sometime look bad as if they don't fit, the style suddenly changes. But when I'm playing it, I don't get too worried about that unless is violently terrible like the island.

      For me the game is a 7 because it looks and sounds cool and it's more or less "fun" (considering you have a tolerance for brute forcing here and there), while most graphic adventures make me feel more bored with their super serious stories and slowly moving characters.

      So now that we know that your restaurant management may be affecting your experience, here's an idea: maybe you can write one of these reviews (we've all seen those) where you say quite a few negative things about the game, but in the end the score is a 6. How about that? I think MorhepusKitami and I would be quite pleased. :P

      More seriously, I just hope it ranks higher than Ween. ;)

      Delete
    4. Maybe the problem is that this is a game more suitable to play silently than to write about it. I mean If I think about it, I can be a good writer myself. And if I start writing stuff about Coktel Vision games as I play them, analyzing each plot detail and actors inserted over drawings... Well it's going to look like I hate my hobby and people my ask: "Why do you play then?".

      This is, however, the nature of this blog. And this is a game (and game company) that is dear to you, so to see anyone say a bad word is understandably distressing. The best I can say, is, no game is perfect, and I'd be doing a disservice if I were to gloss over the small issues, as they have a tendency to pile up.

      There are games and designers that I would personally want to defend, as others would tear them apart. But as long as we all stay civil minded about it, I think this is more fun. A healthy debate.

      Although I still can't fathom how anyone found Blue Force to be an enjoyable game. :P

      Delete
  13. Several people have mentioned the white hand holding the knife but I don't see anybody mentioning that the knife in the hand has a wider blade than the handle, but the knife in the hole they're the same size! Also, 3 rivets instead of 2!

    Maybe they lost the knife and the picture and had to quickly add a replacement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or the picture was an afterthought, stretching out the conversation another screen. Either way, that was an excellent catch.

      Delete