Saturday 9 December 2017

What's Your Story - Limbeck

Answers: Limbeck
Introduction and captions: TBD

Limbeck has recently begun commenting and following our blog in real-time, joining us with Joe Pranevich's playthrough of The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I give a whole hearted WELCOME! It's always good to hear that new people are coming here and reading our blog.

Among other things, limbeck is an archaic term for an alembic - which is in itself rather archaic

And now, over to Limbeck...

Hello there,

I have been slowly catching up with the posts in this blog, but I noticed that there are some games I really enjoy in a row, so I have broken away from my OCD and read those posts. Therefore, I don't think I have much to lose by sending you my story.

My home country is...

Greece, but I am currently living in Ireland and enjoying a smaller range of temperatures than my home country. And the beers and whisk(e)ys and the landscapes and ... well I cannot complain.

If you turn Ireland sideways, it kind of looks like a furry puppy

My age is…

37. No more, no less

The first adventure game I played was…

That's kind of hard to remember. I do recall that I was once at a friend's house and he fired up Secret of Monkey Island, but my English was not that good at the time (I was I think 11 or so), so we didn't get that far. A few years later I was at my cousin's and we played Legend of Kyrandia. Argh! so annoying, but we managed to beat it.

My favourite adventure game is…

I will not say anything radical. I am a LucasArts fanboy and Secret of Monkey Island (when I finally improved my English to a sufficient level to play it) has offered my hours of entertainment. However, I also have a very soft spot for Full Throttle for its setting, the music and THE BUNNIES.

Coming to an adventure gaming blog near you when we reach 1995!

When I’m not playing games I like to…

...read books, play rpgs and hike, not necessarily all at the same time.

I like my games in (a box, digital format)…

No preference. While I enjoy some nice boxed sets with comprehensive manuals and other goodies, digital format is way too convenient for a hoarder. However, as I am moving houses a lot, having boxes and stuff is becoming more of a nuisance.

The thing I miss about old games is…

...the lack of multiplayer. I don't like the fact that many of the recent games (mostly AAA to be fair) seem to focus on multiplayer and online play and neglect the single-player campaign. I don't like playing with others, unless it is hot-seat.

The best thing about modern games is…

Good question. I like the resurgence of indie games and the concepts that they are allowed to bring. Not sure if I am making myself too clear and I might also sound like a grumpy old guy. But I like the unique puzzles of zachtronics, for example, or the roguelike-lite elements of rogue legacy and binding of isaac.

According to these review numbers, Limbeck isn't the only one who likes Zachtronics games

The one TV show I never miss is…

I don't really watch that many tv shows now, but if I had to pick one, that would be Battlestar Galactica (the new one). Oh yes.

If I could see any band live it would be…

I think I will go for Pink Floyd playing at Pompei.

And now I know that Pink Floyd at Pompei was a thing...

My favourite movie is…

Well, there is not a single favourite movie. I really like Brazil, Die hard, The Shining (yes), 12 angry men, One flew over the cuckoo's nest and I also get that guilty pleasure of watching Commando with Arnie once a year. There's also a Greek one very high on the list, but I'll spare you that, since I have never found a version with English subtitles. However, I cannot pick a single one as my favourite and I certainly forget a few.

One interesting thing about me is…

I never learned how to ride a bicycle.

When riding, it's important to wear a helmet, but not to wear pants, apparently

And with these questions, my friends who are silently reading this blog will instantly recognise me.

4 comments:

  1. Holy shit, so many common things with this guy, it's spooky! I'm also Greek, living abroad, 38, same games (and favorite), like same everything he said! Only 2 things... I know how to go crazy on a bike and I haven't watched Brazil yet. Since apparently we're so similar, I should make watching it a top priority!
    Also... [if limbeck is reading this], which Greek movie are you referring to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played through about two-thirds of SpaceChem before I got kind of bogged down in how complicated it was getting. Haven't started Infinifactory yet, but I have it in my Steam to-play pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like these little tidbits into our readers. It's fun to see how many things we have in common as well as how many things are different (apart from Antonakis, who is possibly Limbeck's long lost identical cousin)

    ReplyDelete
  4. TBD, he is definitely the right age, but I am quite sure I have not misplaced any cousins recently. And I also enjoy the fact that this is a really friendly community (so far).

    Antonaki, the movie I am talking about is this one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0300957/ (how do we put links in here?) and, if you are my not so evil twin that you claim, you should probably know it inside out.

    ReplyDelete