Sunday 17 March 2024

The Year Ahead - 2024

By The TAG Team

Our reviewers, admins, and commenters

Okay, so that title isn't a mistake.  We want to talk about the blog, and what's to come this year.  We missed celebrating The Adventurers Guild’s 12th birthday, but there’s still a lot to celebrate, and a lot more planned for the future.  But it’s been a few years since we talked about the blog, so we wanted to take some time to get caught up with each other.

Some things may have slowed down here a little in the few years since the pandemic.  Many readers and reviewers had their lives changed, including having more or less time to spend on their hobbies.  Some of our past reviewers haven’t been able to keep up their previous schedules, but we’ve also seen a couple of newer writers join our ranks.

Two writers have recently taken on some of the administrative behind-the-scenes work on the blog.  We’d like to welcome Morpheus and Michael to our list of admins, and while there haven’t been any formal announcements until now, they’ve been polishing some of the pages and spreadsheets that weren’t given all the attention they needed recently.  The other admins are still also maintaining the blog and connections, including Ilmari, Joe, and Will, who have been keeping the wheels turning since the transition from Trickster’s original project.


We’re trying to keep the reviews and playthroughs coming, and have some goals for this year.  Perhaps it’s a little late for New Year’s resolutions, but better late than never, right?


First, we’re trying to ensure that we have posts at least once a week, sometimes more often than that.  We love the community that has developed here, and look forward to it growing bigger and bigger.


Second, we have a somewhat ambitious (but maybe not completely realistic) goal of finally finishing the 1993 games this year.  You’ve been earning all those CAPs with your score guesses, comments, and other contributions to the blog, and what could be better than a year ahead post for 1994 to spend them on?


It’s for this goal that we need your help.  Help us write a review of a game!  Test the waters (and hone your writing style) by first writing a playthrough of a missed classic.  A game from your past, or a game from before 1993 we didn’t play yet (but should have).  Email us at adventuregamer@googlegroups.com with your ideas.


And even if you can’t help write a review, there are many ways you can help us grow the community and make it better.  Share links to your favorite TAG blog posts on other sites, and encourage others to join the conversations.  Comment on the posts, let us know you’re there, and tell us what you enjoy reading about, so we can adapt.  Constructive criticism?  This is a perfect post for those comments.  Just remember, this is a volunteer-run blog, so not everything is possible, but we’re open to new ideas... but we need your help to do it.


Thanks for making this blog something we look forward to reading and writing every time!




16 comments:

  1. Just want to let you all know how much I enjoy this blog. I read it through more or less start-to-finish beginning in 2022 and now it's great to be following in real time. It's gotten me revisiting games from my youth as well as playing ones I missed along the way. Plus the chronological nature of it really appeals to my organised side!

    The volunteer side of it all obviously means it's down to the time and effort given freely by the writing folks here, and that's much appreciated. A more consistent posting schedule would be lovely but I don't feel like I could complain if we have sparse months.

    Maybe some other kinds of posts here that would be fun to see would be opinion pieces, personal gaming memories, alternate viewpoint reviews/roundups, franchise features for when a series of games is complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a latecomer to the admin team and the review staff, I can't speak for the past except as a reader. I also, a few years back, read the blog cover-to-cover to catch up, and finished just in time to put the winning score guess in for Indy 4, so I started off on the right foot.

      The volunteer side is the problem. Don't get me wrong, I love writing the reviews and posts that I do, but I also enjoy reading them, and we have lost a handful of our past reviewers. Most of them, it's just that life changed and they don't have the time anymore. Both of the games I've reviewed so far, it was because the original dedicated reviewer wasn't able. Part of that is because of how long the posts have been taking to come out -- the reviewers for games being played now were originally chosen about 6 years ago.

      So I guess this is my personal plea to the readers, hidden in a comment, for people to join the review staff. I think that was the best thing to happen to this blog, when it wasn't just one voice, Trickster's, but rather a variety.

      Delete
    2. As for the other types of posts, it's worth a discussion. While we haven't finished a whole lot of series, we have finished some. What was your idea with that? For example, we finished the Spellcasting series last gaming year, and this gaming year we finished the Maniac Mansion series (if we can call 2 games a series). What would you suggest the next post be?

      Delete
    3. I think that was the best thing to happen to this blog, when it wasn't just one voice, Trickster's, but rather a variety.

      For anyone reading that, let me clarify: not a dig at Trickster. I wish he was still one of the voices here.

      Delete
    4. I was just brainstorming so didn't have any specific ideas. Perhaps some kind of overall series roundup. Compare the games to each other, how did technology change in between them, did they evolve or stay the same? A review of the series as a whole, pick stand out moments or real lows. Is there room for the story to continue? What would you like to see if a hypothetical new entry was ever made?

      Delete
    5. I think it's a great idea that you were brainstorming. It could vary a little bit based on the game series. For example, if the series had different authors for the different games, a question of who handled the storyline or characters better. For a series where the author stays the same, maybe just a conversation about the growth of those characters emotionally. Did the technological changes help or hurt the series as it went forward. we aren't there yet, but when the time comes to finish out the Gabriel Knight series, there is certainly a big difference between the three games, and that would be a question we could have a debate over.

      Since I brought up Maniac Mansion, an example might be whether or not the second game is really a sequel, and if so, did they handle it right.

      I think this will be even more interesting, because if a game has had multiple different reviewers for the different installments, one unifying voice with their opinion might be the same or different than comments made in the reviews. The series I just mentioned, for example, was reviewed by two different people.

      Delete
    6. Yes, that kind of stuff would be great! Now I am excited for the epic Jim Walls roundup...

      Delete
    7. If you felt up to it, I think now would be the best time to write that. :) I certainly wouldn't wait for Blade Runner, that's another franchise and also probably years away from blogging,.

      Delete
  2. I love the blog and I am very grateful to the admins & reviewers for taking some of their personal time to do this. The comeback of the discussion points is very welcome and maybe a good idea to spice things up is doing regular polls: which is the best Monkey Island or Space Quest? Best villain in adventure games? Best murder mystery? More expected but dissapointing sequel? Just my two cents. (Also, great to see Michaels own blog back!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I would love to see a poll of the Top 5 Adventure Games of all time, although we are still in 1993

      Delete
    2. And I put up a new post on my blog just minutes after you posted this. Perfect timing.

      Delete
    3. I agree some Top X lists would be great, doesn't need to be of all time, but maybe of the year when we finish it? Or say the top 5 Sci-Fi games from the last 5 years etc.

      I love reading the blog but am very skeptical of my own ability to play an adventure game from so long ago, I struggled as a kid with the quest games so I know they're not my strong point. Maybe for those willing to give it a shot you can post 5 or so games planned in the near future but not yet assigned? Then we can try them out, if we see we can get it done we can write them up otherwise we don't waste anyone's time with an abandoned game. You can even post a few sleepers (games started but that don't look like they will be completed) that we can give a try. They don't need to be big titles (I feel the mainline games should be left to more experienced reviewers) just something for us to test our mettle with maybe.

      Delete
    4. Missed classics aren't really assigned as much as whoever is playing them picks them out of a hat. The next two mainline games that I think we could easily assign to anyone are Myst (which is kind of important) and Cosmic Spacehead. (which wouldn't be fair, because it's nasty to play) Looking at the suggest a missed classic spreadsheet, Kadath, a Lovecraftian CYOA game, an Indiana Jones text adventure, Omnicrom Conspiracy and Chrono Quest. (There's also that one German game I believe you suggested)

      Delete
    5. I agree, I think I'd also be a bit rubbish at writing up playthroughs here. While I have written reviews and features for a professional website in the past, I don't think I've ever managed to get through an adventure game without resorting to heavy use of hints and guides when properly stuck! (Believe me, I try my best!)

      Delete
    6. Being unable to complete a game is also my biggest worry, but the Missed classic list is a good suggestion. I will pick an unplayed one from there, give it a bash, and if I can make any success of it I can attempt a write-up. If I make a dog's breakfast of it I can quietly sweep it under the motherboard.

      Delete
  3. Ever since I did my only Missed Classic back in 2022 I've been meaning to do more of them, but life kept getting in the way. I'm now getting into academia, and video games are my main area of research, so getting back into reviewing here would complement that perfectly! I'm now starting an MA thesis on superhero video games, and I'll also be presenting a paper at a History of Games conference in May. Hopefully later in the year I can make my comeback with another Missed Classic. You guys do an amazing job keeping this blog alive and thriving, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete