Saturday 27 January 2024

Sam & Max Hit the Road — The Sun is Settin' like Molasses in the Sky

Written by Michael
And the sky is a hazy shade of winter
When we last visited the carnivorous crimestopper and his bouncy buddy, Sam had just rescued Max from the hold of a dunk tank, and found a souvenir from another roadside attraction that might get us closer to solving the case.

For those just tuning in, we’re on the hunt of a missing bigfoot from the carnival. So far, it looks like an admirer helped rescue Bruno from his 9-to-5, and as we comb the country looking for him, it seems that other bigfoots have also been liberated as well. This is annoying our semi-nemesis, a county/western singer named Conroy Bumpus who has failed to treat us with the respect a suit-wearing puppy dog deserves. It seems he wants to purchase/hire/obtain these bigfoots for his own purposes. I can only suspect a music video featuring lots of large, obnoxious creatures, but I’m probably wrong about that.That souvenir we found was an empty snowglobe from the Mystery Vortex in Gullwump, Washington. (Quick geography lesson for the non-US folks: Washington, the state, is different from Washington D.C., often referred to as Washington, where obnoxious politicians go to spend our tax dollars. Washington, the state, is perhaps best known for Starbucks, which is ironically not Seattle’s Best Coffee.)

For anyone noticing, I refuse to use the game’s gross misspelling of “sno globe”, and will be shocked if there is a puzzle implication as a result.
The Jitterbug is a real dance. It can be taught by dumping Max’s ant farm down your pants.
Max thinks they’re being controlled by a bunch of really big magnets under the Earth’s crust, which is probably also making the metal plate in his head go ping. Sam thinks Max is an ignorant dolt, but I’m not so sure.
Inside the cave entrance, we find a scene that would be best suited to a carnival funhouse. Doors of various sizes, and as we walk through the room, we also change sizes. Pretty much opposite to whatever doors we walk near, of course. Isn’t that always the way?

I quickly look for something on an end table labeled “EAT ME” or a caterpillar smoking a hookah, but we haven’t gotten to the 1970s portion of this blog post yet. (SPOILER: we will soon meet a groovy friend.) There’s a player piano, but it isn’t useful to us now. (I play it, and Max admonishes me: “Don’t play it again, Sam.”)
Through the looking glass, and what Sam found there
Thinking about what Max said outside about magnets, I try using the fish magnet on the doors and other objects, but it has no effect. Looking at the mirror, Sam sees himself in 3D, and the mirror reacts to him. But I continue across the room, failing to open every door. So, I continue to the next room.
Bumpus, we’re about to throw down!
Here’s the museum gift shop, a mini-vortex, and a strangely-familiar block of half-melted ice, with a sign above it that reads “Big Foot”. Oh, and um, something else.

We’re upside down.

Somehow, Sam’s tie isn’t falling into his face, but I suppose that, just this once, we can suspend disbelief in this otherwise completely plausible game about anthropomorphic housepets searching for Sasquash. Oh, and look, a poster about the missing attraction, who is named Bert. The quest started by looking for Bruno. We never learned the name of the golf course’s bigfoot, but I suspect the letter B will be involved.

Oh, and look, a clue! Another pile of bigfoot fur. I do hope Sam isn’t allergic. I’m allergic to certain breeds of dog, and I’m afraid I probably would have needed to give up on the case long ago for health reasons.

So, on to the museum clerk.
“?Stoofgib tuoba wonk ouy od tahw?”

“I’m upside-down, cutie, not dyslexic”
Turns out that she left for a while yesterday to get her spine recompressed, and when she came back, her bigfoot was gone. And, of course, Conroy Bumpus was around, also trying to get his hand on him as well, but “then he got sick and had to leave.”

We showed her our snowglobe, asking if they sell any more of them. After all, one of them with a stopper in the bottom, still being all snowy would be nice, but they don’t anymore. They were wreaking havoc on the vortex, each one they built made the vortex weaker and weaker. So, to save their financial hides, they stopped making them. So, they also don’t have any stoppers.

Darn.
It’s a twister, Auntie Em!
But, we can go into the vortex, and it basically looks like a blue tornado has engulfed the two of us. But there’s a telling hint: just after the animation starts, my mouse cursor icon becomes visible while I’m inside. So, I wonder what happens if I try to refill my snowglobe?
The globe sucks up some of the vortex, but checking it out in my inventory afterwards, it appears that yes, we will be needing a stopper of some sort.

So, at this point, I was stuck. I couldn’t see how to progress any further at this place, and I was pretty sure that I had exhausted all the other places so far. So, after taking a day off, I came back and started revisiting locations to see what I had missed.

First, I went back to our office. We haven’t been there in a while, and I really should check the messages on the machine.
This is why the modern generation never checks their voicemail
Looking around, I found nothing new to interact with, or to take. Nothing changed outside either. (The golf ball picker has no effect on the ant farm, and I’m still not sure why I tried that.)

Nothing new at Snuckey’s, but something old, I suppose. Max still pesters me to use the bathroom whenever we visit, and I notice that as he leaves to go out back, I get control of the mouse back right away. Perhaps it’s because of the Vortex, but that got me thinking.

While he’s in the facilities, I go outside, thinking I could maybe follow him, but as soon as I step out of the door, the toilet flushes and he emerges. But, seeing me, he pauses before going back inside, which gives me an opportunity to click the TALK icon on him. We B.S. for a while, and then get to the topic of the restroom key attached to a giant file (for which they use the more formal but less-common term “rasp”).
“I think we should keep the rasp.”

“You’re probably right. No one deserves to use restrooms that clean.”
I mean, after all, they are the cleanest in 9 counties.

I don’t think a rasp will help me capture a vortex, but perhaps will be useful if I find an enslaved bigfoot or need to help my friend Otto escape from prison. So, I keep revisiting locations.

At the carnival, next to the Wak-a-Rat, is a giant magnifying lens. What I didn’t notice earlier is that I could take it. Not nailed down? Got it. (Sadly, I don’t still have the key to Trixie’s trailer. That would help with nails.)

I keep making my rounds with no luck, so I go back to the Vortex to see what I missed there. And, it’s something I should have tried first off.

Remember that mirror I looked at? I should have USEd it. That caused me to walk through it, underground...
Here’s an educational video about how magnets work.
...where it seems that Max was right. Magnets.

If you mess with the switches, the colored magnets change the lighting down here. And it turns out that it affects the way things work upstairs.

First, I change the switches until it releases Nur-Ab-Sal... er, I mean, the lighting turns blue. When I go upstairs, it appears that I can now approach the blue door at an appropriate height. However, off-camera, it’s apparently just a room filled with cheese. Changing the lighting down below to red lets me access the two red doors.

The first one I tried was filled with a forest of shoe trees. Personally, I can’t imagine the odor.

The second was more fruitful.
Bob Pinciotti getting a workout
Finally, the elusive Shuv-Oohl. I wonder if I’ll find out why we didn’t get a hint about him at the ball of twine.

But first, let’s pause for Max to drink from Shuv’s water bottle.
“...well, THIS bottled water is a real letdown.”

“We need your help.”

“Help is my middle name. Or maybe it’s ‘Starchild.’”
Every interaction with him screams “burnt out hippie”.
“1,2,3...”
What are we fightin’ for?

“Just checking.”
But asking him about Bruno, that’s the ticket. They go way, way back. He’s always felt a special kinship with the bigfoots, much the same way that Max feels with pointy sticks. And then...
...a Star Wars reference in a LucasArts game. That’s something new.

But also, it’s our way forward. But for a new location to be opened up to me, why didn’t it show on the map? He told me where to find it, between two other places I also can’t see on the map. A hunting mission. I think this is where that pair of binoculars is going to be useful, if I can fix them.

But he first gave us a fetch quest: he lost his mood ring in the twine ball. And from the way it’s said, I’m guessing it would have been possible for me to get to this point without previously having the location unlocked, which in a way impresses me about how many different ways you could explore this game and open up other locations. While this game is far from perfectly designed, it certainly isn’t strictly linear.

So... back to the (now 91 yards shorter) ball of twine.

I go to the museum again, where I have a close-up view of the ball within reach. It’s inside the ball? What do I have to go in with?

I use the broken golf-ball retriever on the ball, but Sam shuts me down. “That might be a good idea, but the golf ball retriever’s still broken.” How can I fix it? I look through my inventory, and a stupid idea comes to mind.
If you’re happy and you know it, clench your hand.
I try attaching the still-twitching hand of Jesse James to the retriever, and it almost reaches the ring, but not quite. So, what else could I do?

Hmm, I wonder. Is a mood ring magnetic? Probably. Let's add the magnet. And... success!

Looking at the ring in my inventory, it simply says, “I must be happy.” And I suppose I am, for solving this puzzle.

So we go back to Shuv-Oohl, and he’s Grateful. But thankfully, not Dead. So, I keep on Truckin’. He pushes us some more about finding Frog Rock, and tells us that when we do finally find it, we’ll need to smear the fur from 3 different bigfoots over the rock and then use some mystic mole man powder.
“What’ll happen then?”

“Something wonderful.”
So it seems that the next job is to find Frog Rock. So, off to the binoculars!
It’s electric. Boogie-woogie-oogie.
Again, I’ll cut short the explanation of me overcoming past lapses in brainpower. Those exposed wires? I was again reminded of how similar things were handled in my last game for the blog. If I try to pick them up, they become an inventory item in my hands. I can hotwire the binoculars, and now, apparently, the binoculars control the revolution of the restaurant.

Max calls that the most ridiculous thing he’s ever heard, but Sam still has some electric coursing through him from the unlicensed electrical work, so he shocks Max. It was, ahem, a hare-raising experience.

I’ll be here all night, folks. Make sure to try the veal.

So I use the binoculars, and after a little visual exploration, Sam gives up. “I could be looking right at Frog Rock, but everything’s too tiny.”

Well, another item manipulation puzzle. Let’s add the magnifying lens to the binoculars. I do that, and Sam basically hints that I’m on the right track. He tells me to make sure to stop the rotation when I find it.

The controls for the binoculars are mentioned in the manual, but basically, it involves clicking left or right around the dial at the bottom of the screen. I eventually get the hang of it, and spin past one of the sights that Uncle Mole Man told me about, Mount Badrich. And then...
“Hmm, it's a rock.... and it’s between the two things Shuv-Oohl said it was between... it must be Frog Rock!”
Down in Froggy Rock! [Baritone: Down in Froggy Rock.]
So the new location appears on my map. But I keep looking around in the binoculars, to see if there’s any other tourist traps to visit. Let’s see: the Inexplicable Valley of Lights, the Enchanted Argyle Forest, the Eternal Plane of Acid Rain, the Largest Stump in the World... well, none show on the map, but I’d like to visit one of them sometime. Maybe after I finish this game.

But for now... ROAD TRIP!
But at least there’s a sign there to tell me I’m in the right place.
There’s a rock, and nothing else. So let’s follow the Voodoo Lady’s instructions, and put all the ingredients into the bag. Something of the dead, something of the thread...

Wrong game. All we need here is something of the head. Say, the hair of three bigfoots. We smear those on the rock, and then add the mole man powder, and suddenly, the world changes for us.
And this brings us to our next destination, and a perfect place to stop this session. I’m kind of hungry anyway. Max! Make me a sandwich!
"Love Me Tender" leaves 'em cryin' in the aisle
Session Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Total Time: 4 hour 45 minutes

Inventory: Lots of money, World of Fish magnet, bucket of golf balls, black light flashlight, carnival pass, Sam & Max™ Car Bomb, Sam & Max Coloring Book, Sam & Max Dress-Up game, stilt walker’s outfit, Gator Golf score card, Jesse James’ severed hand attached to a golf ball retriever, bent left-handed metric wrench, snowglobe, 91 yards of twine, supersized Snuckey’s cup, rasp with key attached

Note Regarding Spoilers and Companion Assist Points: There’s a set of rules regarding spoilers and companion assist points. Please read it here before making any comments that could be considered a spoiler in any way. The short of it is that no points will be given for hints or spoilers given in advance of me requiring one. Please...try not to spoil any part of the game for me...unless I really obviously need the help...or I specifically request assistance. In this instance, I've not made any requests for assistance. Thanks!

26 comments:

  1. >At the carnival, next to the Wak-a-Rat, is a giant magnifying lens

    Curses, my nefarious plan has finally been foiled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, Michael has more opportunities to get stuck.

      Delete
    2. I still haven't read that ROT-13 yet, but this was pure luck. I can see how this item can be missed by many.

      But because of this experience, in the next gameplay session there's another item that I almost didn't think to grab, but I tried anyways and got it. (Gur Wbua Zhve cbegenvg unatvat va gur Ohzchf zhfrhz.)

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I got stuck on 2 items (which I spent multiple sessions trying to get through without hints) - both of which I put down to interface issues rather than not knowing, or being led logically to what I should be doing. The giant magnifying glass was one of them. The other was trying to walk instead of use the mirror to get to the magnet room. Both of these things turned me against a game that I was otherwise enjoying to this point. From hereon in I found the incessant banter between Sam and Max annoying, and REALLY struggled to stay motivated through the endgame. I got there. But I was sullied.

      Delete
    4. If I didn't make it clear in the post, I agree about these two items. There was no hint about the lens being a takeable item, and even if I had, there's no clear hint that I should have seemed it out for the binoculars puzzle. The mirror also eluded me, I tried the look icon first and also no clear hints about that course of action.

      But I like the back and forth between Sam and Max, much the same as college me liked watching Judge Judy rip into stupid defendants.

      Delete
  2. In one of the initial posts about this game, some commenters seemed a bit down on it, but I don't know man, it looks really creative and fun, with well-designed puzzles to me so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was a bit surprised to see people so down on it. It's not up there with the very best LucasArts ever did, but it's still LucasArts from their golden era, so still pretty darn good IMO (I'm a bit of a fanboy, but I'd reckon every adventure game between Secret and Grim Fandango was a banger, with the possible exception of the Dig, which I never got into).

      Delete
    2. It's not a bad game, but it isn't without some issues here and there. Without trying to finalize my thoughts before the end, I'd say the biggest problem with the game is the interface, but in the next post, there will be a couple of other issues. I'm not done with the session, but there was a time that a conversation with another character assumed that I already knew something I hadn't learned yet, and another instance where a character didn't recognize me after having a confrontation with me two screens earlier.

      Delete
    3. Just speaking for myself, I specifically said just that the ending of the game wasn't as good as or didn't live up to the beginning. I'd say Michael is still on the good side of that equation. That said, some of the humour might not seem as funny to us non-USAns, since it's hard to care of things like the world's largest ball of twine, when you weren't even aware of its existence before playing this game.

      Delete
    4. Frankly, I'm surprised that the issues I've seen are issues that weren't mentioned when people were complaining. Dreadful interface, poor between location hotspots, and some janky graphics were not really mentioned. People were talking about aggressive protagonists and gross-out humor, but it doesn't seem all that different from Day of the Tentacle to me. I feel like I'm playing a different game than the one everyone else did, because what I'm getting isn't what was described at all.

      Delete
    5. I'd agree a little about the interface and hotspots in general, not just location ones. But the graphics work for me, a zany cartoonish style that often blurs the line from the real world to exaggerated parody. But then, I also like the graphics is LSL6 better than some commenters (I forget if you were one specifically). I like zany when it matches the writing and setting.

      Delete
    6. I'm talking about things like characters seemingly teleporting around unintentionally, the painted over 3D models and our hero often looking like he's not walking on the background but gliding over it. (Not an issue I expected a LA game to have, TBH) And you're right about general hotspots, as everyone else is going to find out strongly next time.

      Delete
  3. Sam thinks Max is an ignorant dolt

    Re: the linked video: Did you know that there is unused (presumably placeholder) text in the Lua scripts for Escape from Monkey Island where Pegnose Pete calls Elaine an "ignorant slut"? I am honestly not making this up (and was shocked/surprised to discover it in there).

    Somehow, Sam’s tie isn’t falling into his face, but I suppose that, just this once, we can suspend disbelief in this otherwise completely plausible game about anthropomorphic housepets searching for Sasquash.

    Or he's wearing a tie-clip.

    Hmm, I wonder. Is a mood ring magnetic? Probably.

    I wonder why that would work. Usually the band of this kind of cheapie thing is something like nickel or brass, not steel (although I guess it could be...). The "mood" effect is liquid crystal... can that be ferric? 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like they were riffing on an old Saturday Night Live skit from the early days of the series. "Weekend Update" was a recurring parody of TV news programs, including the sort which had "liberal" and "conservative" anchors exchanging views. In this case, one of the anchors would often start his statements to his cohost with "Jane, you ignorant slut", and she would respond in kind. It was one of those popular catchphrases like "landshark" and "I'm Chevy Chase and you're not" that was fondly recalled (much like Monty Python references) by people who watched that era of SNL.

      But yeah, sounds like temp dialogue for sure.

      Delete
    2. @ATMachine we all agree. Click on the link I used in that part of the post, and it's a video of Dan Akroyd saying just that. :)

      @arcanetrivia While many rings aren't magnetic, this mood ring is.

      Delete
    3. (mood ring is magnetic) Yeah, obviously, but I'm just wondering how the player was supposed to think of it. Were they assuming "they'll think metal is metal and anything at all will be attracted to a magnet"?

      Delete
    4. Probably. I didn't give it much thought at the time. In my head, it was, it's made of metal, I have a magnet, let's try it. I think they make a point of saying it's a really strong magnet early on, I'll look at my old screenshots later.

      Delete
    5. Or he's wearing a tie-clip.
      Sam's tie swaying as he walks would beg to differ. I know no one else is going to appreciate that, but gosh that's some nice tie swaying.

      Delete
  4. Apollo Justice trilogy released on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2187220/Apollo_Justice_Ace_Attorney_Trilogy/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing interesting to add here specifically, but I note that the controls on the twine observatory are difficult to figure out if you don't have the manual. The rest of the puzzle is easy, just that bit is annoying.

    Gotta say, Max seems like a wonder of coding design, it's not often you see a character who can moves while the player is off doing other things with no sign of stopping for anything you do. And there's something clever in the way the game slid Max saying "I gotta go to the bathroom" into the conversation at Snuckey's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, in the earlier post, the first time I used the binoculars, I thought they were broken because I wasn't clicking in just the right spots. Even with the manual, it wasn't great.

      In the Car Bomb game, you are supposed to be able to quit by pressing the letter q. And yes, it's in the manual in lower case. But it only worked for me if I pressed SHIFT to make it upper case.

      I'm not a fan of the interface, even though I've seen worse. I think what really makes this hard is that you expect better from LucasArts. If this had been some other game company, we might be a little more forgiving, but Lucas comes with an expectation, a threshold to at least meet.

      Delete
    2. As for Max, I commented on it earlier, but it's a nice touch. He has ADHD and can't be still in a room for even a second. He jumps on Trixie's bed, he jumps into fountains, he drinks from other people's water fountains. It's not every room, but it's enough that it's noticeable. It was a nice touch.

      Delete
  6. I'm still working on writing the next post, but this news story hit my phone today and it seems somewhat relevant, even if we might not agree 100%:

    https://www.pcgamer.com/a-willfully-old-school-point-and-click-reminded-me-why-we-put-up-with-moon-logic-puzzles-in-classic-adventure-games-for-so-long/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See what you mean about maybe not agreeing 100%, but interesting, yeah...

      Delete
    2. That article is a delightful read. It's nice to find a modern piece on classic adventure game design that isn't just deriding the faults. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. I got completely stuck at the Mystery Vortex! I got through the mirror but didn't realise that the screen could scroll over to reveal another hidden lever. I also completely missed the magnifying lens at the carnival. Once again, I'm really wishing there were text description hotspots in this game!

    It seemed to me that the 3D Sam coming out of the mirror was a spoof of the famous water tentacle scene in The Abyss.

    ReplyDelete