Wednesday 2 August 2023

Lost in Time - Well, I’m on the Downeaster Alexa

Written by Michael
Parker is our suave but oddly-dressed game heroine, Jerry is our MacGuyver, and Mikey, well, all Mikes are cool to have around.
Synchronize swatches! We’re back home from a fancy meal and now it’s time to tackle some more puzzles in this game. I wonder, will we finally experience some of the danger from the man who “plotted to kill us before we were born?” Well, cheaters could skip down to the end of this post, but I hope you’ll stick along for the ride.

When last we wrote, I had just uncorked some cider in celebration of me finding the right items to click on the right other items. Let me step out of that basement crypt to the real world. Wait, if that’s a crypt, then how come all that’s in there is a treasure chest and some bottles of cider? It feels more like a messy garage than a place T. Charles Kingman would be in charge of.
So I step outside, and once more I look at the elevator. This railing is a clickable object, does that mean it can interact with one of my inventory items?
It turns out that I can attach the hose to it. I then try to press the elevator buttons, but the game warns me that I might get hurt doing that with the hose attached. So, what next? I check my inventory and find that an item appeared called the hose “end” that can interact with other things. If I walk to the well/garden area, that item disappears from my inventory, so I guess the hose doesn’t stretch that far. But I can walk over to the lighthouse.
Love in an elevator, living it up...
And the solution now seems obvious to me. I tie it to the door of the lighthouse, and then operate the hose, which busts the lighthouse door open.
“Hey, where do these stairs go?”
So now, we have a new place to explore. There’s a locked door, and some steps up. I try all the appropriate items on the door, to no avail. Not picking this lock, at least not now.

And then, there’s the first of a couple of things that made my blood boil in this playthrough session: the first hidden pixel hunt.
The pathway up was clogged
So, I happened to accidentally mouse-over, at some point, a wooden clog hiding on the steps. It’s the same damn color as the steps. I pick it up, and then at some point I look inside of it and find a key. So I immediately do the obvious thing, and unlock the door and follow it downstairs.
I couldn't find a screenshot, but I'm rather certain this was a scene from EcoQuest.
This leads me to a gated area that leads out to the ocean. The gate doesn’t open, and there’s no obvious puzzle there (no keyhole or handle). There’s a valve above my head to the left, and of course, it needs to be turned.
To every season...
Remembering the proper way to turn the valve, I apparently open a canal. I’m hoping this means I have water upstairs at the hose faucet, or at least in the well or something.

There’s also some algae on the right side wall, a clickable item I can’t do anything with yet, so I’ll have to come back to that.

Back upstairs, I follow the steps in the other direction.
Hemingway’s former office, where he wrote literary classics
What’s in this room? A lot of unclickable, decorative items, and a few useful ones. There’s a desk drawer, with a bit of literature to be enjoyed.

We read the contents out loud, but then it appears in my diary as a piece of evidence, so I can read it at my leisure.
Also in this room is a spyglass (labeled as a field glass), a window overlooking the sea, and a cupboard, of which the doors are unable to be opened by hand because the humidity has warped them.
Using the oar in a method not as directed by the manufacturer, I pry open the door of the cabinet to expose its hidden treasures to the world. It turns out that the treasure is a shaving razor.

I try to open the window, without luck, and also try to bust it open, but the oar isn’t as useful a tool as you’d imagine.

Using the spyglass, I look out the window. If I move the mouse around, I can pan and scan until I find what I’m looking for. Of course, I don’t know what I’m looking for until I do -- it’s the shipwrecked boat that I need to return to sometime in the past.
Recently, we learned that looking at old shipwrecks may be more dangerous than the games let on to be.
I’ll save myself from extra writing and blog padding, and tell you that I did not notice at first that I could look more directly at the ship to find a detail that looks familiar to me.
Just that art style reminds me of Gobliins.
This reminds me of the lock puzzle on the treasure chest, so as soon as I’m done exploring this house, maybe I’ll go check that out.

But for now, I’ll return to a gripe that will continue in this blog post. You see, when you explore inside various items, the video of you removing an item doesn’t make it clear that other items may remain, and sometimes, it looks rather empty. But the advice I’ll give anyone who is exploring in this game is to click on items multiple times, even when it makes no sense to do so.

I didn’t actually find this item until much later, when I had left, tried to do things, and reached an impasse and retraced my steps. But that doesn’t make for interesting blog reading. It turns out that the rather empty looking drawer, after all, wasn’t that empty. Clicking it again provided me with something useful.
Sadly the game doesn’t let me use it on the lock of the treasure chest, but since I’ve found the combo for it already (I hope), we won’t hold that against the game. After all, I already dissolved one lock with acid, but not this time.

Shall we go upstairs, via the ladder? (Based on the poor translation, I was slightly confused at first -- because the hotspot for the ladder says it goes up to the “LAMP”. And that hotspot is just pixels away from an actual lamp on the actual desk. I know the term LAMP is technically correct, but given the proximity to the desk lamp, a different term should have been used. Perhaps, “To the tower” or even “To the lens” or something like that.)
Would it be wrong, in a stereotypical male fashion, for me to state that I wish there was video footage of Dora climbing the ladder in that outfit?
Welcome to the guts of the lighthouse. There’s a lamp, that I can’t do much with right now, there’s a curtain, and a window looking out. And, found later, a hidden-pixel-search item on this screen: a bottle of kerosene.

Clicking on the lamp earlier, I’m told that the lamp runs on kerosene, but this bottle has no effect on it now. Perhaps it was just meant as a subtle hint to look for the bottle?

I can’t resist trying to deface the curtain with the razor, and I’m rewarded with a square of fabric for my crime. I use the rag on the lens glass, and I’m told that it’s much cleaner, but I suspect that’s just a sarcastic response for my enjoyment (I truly do enjoy the sarcasm, as much as I’ll give this game a hard time otherwise).

There’s seemingly nothing else to do here, so maybe it’s time to go back to the treasure chest?
Those skulls look rather long in the tooth.
So, this puzzle has shades of Insult Swordfighting in it. Just like when you challenge Carla, you have to adjust your responses for the challenge. So, while the ship showed a cannon, the treasure chest is opened with a pistol. And likewise for the other items, like the bullet and cannonball, or the knife and the sword.

Inside, I find the captain’s log for the Briscarde... wait, I’m going to be riding that ship in about negative-150 years or so! I think this might be interesting. Inside the diary is some fiberglass.
Again, this is what it looks like after it’s been added to my diary.
Well, I’ve (probably) exhausted the resources of this room for now, so let’s exit. I think I’ve turned on the water, so maybe I can take that hose and use it on the spout?

Just one problem with that. When I go to pick up the hose, I can do it, but I’m told that my using it as a rope to bust open the door damaged it. I suppose I shouldn’t be too surprised. So when I connect it to the faucet, it’s unusable.
This is another start of a good dressing.
It took me some random item clicking to solve this, but because of my own ignorance. See, when I think of fiberglass, I’m thinking of the hard shell of a Ferrari, or a Jacuzzi on my back deck. I don’t think of anything flexible. I didn’t know that fiberglass was a common way to repair broken pipes.

Add some resin to waterproof it, and I have a working hose again. And the closest thing I can see nearby, appropriate to water, is the empty well.
Well, we can’t litter, can we?
And all I get for my troubles is the damn cork from the cider bottle I shot off earlier. This has got to be the most unrewarding puzzle yet.
Using acid on the grass. That sounds like something people did in the 1970s.
I suddenly have more inspiration. The muriatic acid removes... anything? So that loose moss that I can’t seem to get off, even though I have no clue why I’d want to do that?

That softens it up a bit, but I need a little help getting it the rest of the way off. I try the razor, but to no effect. I seem to be going in the right direction, but the game is making me jump through hoops to find the desired object instead.

I remember something from the recent past:
Where is it? I didn’t see it anywhere in the lighthouse. That’s because... it’s time for another pixel hunt!
Annie Lenox, eat your heart out.
Seriously, this game can’t decide between having inventory items be ridiculously obvious (like the battery in the tractor) or practically invisible (like the brown wooden shoe left upon the brown wooden steps).

Using this glass shard on the loosened algae reveals a “mechanism”. I decide that I need to manipulate it somehow, and land on the roasting spit.
“That’s what he said.” (Oh, wait, that’s my first Al Lowe joke of this post!)
Well, that’s an obvious hint, so the rust remover to the rescue.
Closed tight, except for the hole I made in the side to drain all the fine, aged rum out of it.
Opening the gate brings me to a rowboat (sans oars) that seems to have developed a moisture problem. I try to remove the water using things in my inventory, and it seems the best choice is the wooden clog. This exposes a hole in the bottom of the boat, which seems like a perfect puzzle to use a cork from a bottle on. But it doesn’t fit perfectly, it’s a little loose.
If I put the cloth in the hole first, and then the cork, it works. (I tried to add the inventory items together first, but that didn’t work. I was almost dissuaded.)

Using the oar with the boat, Dora decides the trip is going to be hard, but doable, and she dumps her inventory at the gates to lighten the load.





You land in front of a fisherman’s cabin. The cliff to get back to your manor is too hard for you to climb, so we’re stuck here for the time being. Let’s go inside.
Admitting you have a problem is the first of 12 steps to solving the problem
It’s time to go full-on adventure gamer in this room, and grab anything. Note that, by this time, I’d mostly learned the lesson about clicking things multiple times even if there was no apparent reason to, and with the exception of the bread basket, I didn’t have to come back.

But to summarize, in this room, there's a cabinet containing a ship in a bottle and some Nuoc Mam. I had to look that up, because generally, here in the states, it is mostly sold and referred to only by its translated name: Fish Sauce.
As the notebook appears in your diary afterwards
There’s a chair, with something under the leg. It’s a notebook that belongs to someone named Melkior. Of course, Doralice at this time hasn’t met him yet, because it will happen in the past.

Inside the basket on the table is a handkerchief and a nail. But wait... there’s more! There’s also some bread. Clicking some more actually tells me that “I have everything I need from the basket.”

There’s a chandelier hanging above the room that looks interesting, mainly because it’s a clickable object, and I find them all interesting. I can’t reach it, but clicking on the chair moves it underneath so I can climb.

It’s attached securely with a chain to a bracket, but using the nail breaks that security.
Ingenious and convenient.
Looking at the chandelier breaks it apart to the base ingredients it was apparently made from. An anchor would probably work as a repelling grip for the cliff, no?
How can you determine its gender without undressing it first?
There’s something on the roof I didn’t notice earlier. It appears to be a buoy.

In the reverse, of sorts, of a puzzle stolen from the future Grim Fandango, the solution is to get a bird to knock it down for you. But if you just try to do the job with the bread, that’s not enough. You’ll have to replace the bread, apparently there’s more in the basket where it came from.
Wow, the sarcastic narrator became flat-out mean.
No, the birds here only believe in haute cuisine, so you’ll need to douse it in fish sauce first before throwing it up there for them.
Since there’s no mouth icon, I hadn’t considered that solution yet.
It’s knocked down, and a use for the razor, which wasn’t too heavy for me to take on my overseas boat trip. The buoy is useless, filled with holes, but I already know what I want the rope for.
So will this.
Tying the rope to the anchor, I’m able to scale the Cliffs of Insanity (even without Fezzik to assist), and I have returned back to my manor. And like that, I will retire to my chambers as well, until our next session.

(Oh, yeah, in answer to the question at the start of the post: we don't seem to be in mortal danger yet.)

Session Time: 1 hour
Total Time
: 2 hour 30 minutes

Inventory: Razor blade, copper wire, handkerchief, acid solution, ship in a bottle, floats, kerosene, small pipe, wooden shoe, and the cigarette carton, containing a matchbox.

Game Completed: 37%

Note Regarding Spoilers and Companion Assist Points: There’s a set of rules regarding spoilers and companion assist points. Please read it here before making any comments that could be considered a spoiler in any way. The short of it is that no points will be given for hints or spoilers given in advance of me requiring one. Please...try not to spoil any part of the game for me...unless I really obviously need the help...or I specifically request assistance. In this instance, I've not made any requests for assistance. Thanks!

19 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun read! I'm glad you're advancing and not getting stuck. And thanks for the "pan and scan" link, I wasn't aware of that.

    I don't think pixel huntings are as bad in this particular game as in others (for example, you managed to solve them after all)... Maybe it's because the screens don't have too much stuff on them? I mean, the glass pieces one is terrible, but at least you get a hint and there's not too many other places to go.

    The "double zoom" thing is clearly an UI issue, it's never explained! But at least it's not as bad as the UI disaster Coktel made in their previous game, Ween, where at one particular screen, suddenly mouse-over with a inventory object is a thing and doing so changes the item icon.

    If I (and MorpheusKitami) recall correctly, you're now set for the last puzzle on the house, which is a bit hard, so buckle up! I'm curious about how you will describe the thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for the "pan and scan" link, I wasn't aware of that.

      I used to own a few VHS tapes that were displayed that way. I nearly got motion sickness watching them.

      Delete
    2. I mean, the glass pieces one is terrible, but at least you get a hint and there's not too many other places to go.

      Except that the hint is that it is a basement window, but the glass shards aren't down in the basement. I did look down there when I first explored, but I forgot to mention it in the blog post. I did not reasonably expect to find them somewhere other than the basement.

      Delete
    3. Los juegos de coktel visión son una pasada, habría que mirar si hay algún pack en abandonsocios con todos en español

      Delete
  3. The pathway up was clogged
    So, I happened to accidentally mouse-over, at some point, a wooden clog hiding on the steps.


    Grrrrarrrrghhhhh 😒 nice one lol

    Those skulls look rather long in the tooth.

    Ha ha. But also rather Gobliiins-y, I think. Someone at Coktel might have been responsible for both.

    But if you just try to do the job with the bread, that’s not enough. No, the birds here only believe in haute cuisine, so you’ll need to douse it in fish sauce first before throwing it up there for them.

    Are the birds in question seagulls? If so, I get what the game might be going for here (sea birds would want fish flavor) but anyone who thinks seagulls will not accept, nay, brazenly steal bread right out of your hand, has not encountered a seagull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are the birds in question seagulls? If so, I get what the game might be going for here

      I get what the game is going for, and under most circumstances, I would have considered it an excellent puzzle. But for the translation issue. This is something that mirrors the monkey wrench puzzle in Monkey Island 2 for non-Americans. At the time this game was released, most common Americans were not fluent in Asian cooking, unless they were ordering Chop Suey from a hole-in-the-wall Chinese food establishment. Online searching and dictionaries were not in the picture yet. So the average gamer would not have known what that bottle was. On the flip side, if they had labeled it as fish sauce, the puzzle would have probably been too easy.

      Delete
    2. No, Pierre Gilhodes isn't involved in this game, though Coktel Vision did have a bit of a brand going on with their stuff, either intentionally or unintentionally. I know they reused the sounds from some fancy sound engine they made for Galactic Empire in the Goblins series, for one, so reusing the teeth thing is small in comparison.

      I would guess the reasoning behind the seagull is that you're trying to attract them, not that they wouldn't eat that. Sort of spicing it up so they'll smell it, I assume they can smell it. With that in mind any sort of smelly sauce would work, which since it was used on fish it would have to be.

      Delete
    3. Agreed. Again, I like the puzzle, except for the language issue. If the sauce was commonly known here in the states (at that time, or even by that name) then I think it is an EXCELLENT puzzle. But because roughly 99% of non-Asian people at that time wouldn't know what that is off hand, I suspect a large percentage of players solved it with brute force.

      Delete
  4. "Let's attach the hose that's tied to the elevator to the door of the Lighthouse."

    If you had to take one sentence from an adventure game to represent the whole genre, this might just be it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "PICK UP DREAM" might be a contender also.

      Delete
  5. Funny, I didn't have any problem whatsoever spotting the shoe, or the window, at least after the door was open. Seriously, it's not invisible, especially compared to that hole you put the portrait in last time.

    Maybe this is a "dumbass who is learning another language makes better connections than other people" thing, but I didn't have a problem with the field glass either. Regarding the window, I assume it's openable but the game doesn't think it's important that you can open it. I tried to use it last time. You'll figure out why pretty soon, it's the only actually crap puzzle the game has.

    I note that compared to a certain other game currently being played, Doralice is both attractive and shot in a sleazy way, unlike that other game which makes sleazy feel like a compliment. Also funny, both have that annoying factor of having to look at things multiple times, though in both cases after the first time it just becomes part of the game.

    I had the same problem with the fiberglass, though for the most part it's because my mind doesn't really comprehend the stuff as anything other than fancy glass, even if that's wrong. Though even with that problem I still got it done fairly easily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, I didn't have any problem whatsoever spotting the shoe, or the window, at least after the door was open. Seriously, it's not invisible, especially compared to that hole you put the portrait in last time.

    I suspect put different brightness settings might be the culprit.

    As for the field glass, I figured it out right away, but I mentioned the use of the term because I will definitely be talking about the language translation in the final post. While technically correct, it's not the common term for the item. It's what someone found in a translation dictionary or a thesaurus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how Lost in Time is clearly trying to communicate with Michael (restaurant manager with 30 years of experience) by constantly including elements like wine bottles or fish sauces in puzzles.

    (By the way, do I remember the years of experience correctly? If true, Michael must have already been an seasoned video game player by 1993, which is something most of us can't say).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 23 years of management, but almost 30 years working (working back when I was 16)

      Not quite old enough to have 30 years of management yet. 😋

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks! I just downloaded and "installed" it in my 7,000+ games compilation for DBGL. The music has probably been reused from Goblins 2 or 3. I don't remember the puzzles, so it looks like the gameplay is totally new. Let's see how long does it take to finish it.

      (I already knew about this, but I didn't play it because it was in French and it was a tiny adventure game made to promote a product... Maybe I should have, if only to honor my semi-ironic nickname in Blogspot).

      Delete
    2. I'm still playing the game. It's like a Gobliins 2 DLC with stupid characters (a strong boy and a skillful girl) and easier puzzles, but the music (stolen from Gobliins 2, I believe) and visuals have Gobliins quality.

      I'm on the 3rd screen, and I suspect it may be the last. I will post my full impressions when I finish, but for now all I can say it's that I wish Michael would review this game too:

      https://i.ibb.co/3mhKKBL/the-hole-is-too-small.jpg

      Delete
    3. Finished! A bad Gobliins DLC. And the fourth Coktel Vision game with ships (after Inca, Lost in Time and Goblins 3). Only 3 screens, music from Gobliins 2 or 3, 95% of puzzles too easy and 5% that make no sense, and you lose the ability to use both characters at the same time as you do in Gobliins 2 and 3. It's not as fun as the Gobliiins games because those are more crazy, have different music and animations, you get a sense of adventure and challenge... This it's just a bad (but good looking) version of it for kids.

      Croustibat, the name of the game, is also the name of the yellow fish mascot created by Findus, and the Findus product (basically fish-shaped fish sticks). It seems to be a French wordplay with the word "croustillant" ("crispy"). The mascot seems very popular in France (see this commercial, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLOpb7eAbtE , and this one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jxY6uFmiiU ) and one of the commercials from 1993 has the same sceneries as this game ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Ou23jpuco ), but there's also a video in French ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40WNZV7cYug ) analyzing the ingredients (they sell it as "100% Alaska pollock", but it's only 60% according to the ingredients in the back with the remaining 40% being flour, yeast and other additives (I don't eat this anymore, but if I did, I would definitely discard the exterior).

      It's a bit sad that this was the last Coktel Vision VGA game. I wish Lucas, Sierra and Coktel would have released 3 or 4 more VGA games ignoring the 3D/voice acting era (and its costs). Since The Princess Bride has appeared in a link from Michael, I would also like to mention how interesting it woud have been to have Ron Gilbert, Noah Falstein and David Fox (the Last Crusade team) program a classic SCUMM game based on that movie.

      So that's all, folks! I guess the time to replay the Goblins series is getting closer and closer for me. I don't think I remember any of the crazy puzzles and I made notes for my future self for the more frustrating ones, so it shouldn't be too bad. Well honestly I do remember that you had to use a torch on a giant medallion from a statue in the background for no reason in Goblins 1 (a game without hot spots) because that was too much even for Goblins 1.

      Delete