Sunday 12 February 2023

Day of the Tentacle - Won!

 Written by Morpheus Kitami

As has been custom for a while, I was wandering around the mansion. Trying the hammer on anything...not really sure about the mouse toy or the funnel. What can I do about Edna? What can I do about Edna. I can't do anything to the statue...and I try pushing her. You know pushing as an action is something I've really ignored.

Is Edna an old lady?

Success! Finally! PROGRESS! She's gone forever! Now I just have to use the VHS tape in the slot.

That solves another problem

This is an interesting puzzle, albeit a basic one. I just have to figure out how to record Fred. The round button is the one that records...and it quit. Either VHS players in the early '90s were vastly different, or none of the people involved in this game ever had one. It's always been a red round button for record, and then a square for stop. There's some sort of international body that ensures these things all follow a specified code, not just for us Americans, but so people all over the world know that pressing a square STOPS it.

After recording Dr. Fred rotating the dial, the IRS come in, saying they want to talk to him. Not quite how the IRS work, they prefer to send letters, but I'm just happy I don't have to worry about him. It takes me a few cycles, not helped by how the game doesn't want to let you skip over the tape, but you have to switch the tape from EP to SP mode. I'm no VHS expert, but does that work?

Whatever, I get the combination, 101, 999, 57. A quick jaunt downstairs and Bernard puts the number in for me. That's convenient. Now all I have to do is stamp it, mail it in the past and buy the diamond. And Hoagie refuses to put it in the mailbox because it isn't signed. Okay, Fred is gone, Edna is gone...and I can't bother Weird Ed...so give it to Red? No? Zed? No? Anyone at the convention hall? No? Uh-oh.

Ah, jokes about the number of bizarre forms the IRS force on you never get old

Then I notice that all of a sudden the attic is important. The IRS agents have camped out here, going through Fred's very messy records. Fred himself is locked behind that room, where no one could ever reach him at all. So don't even bother trying to free him or fighting the IRS agents in any way. These guys really act more like the FBI than the IRS. Maybe the men in black. In a reference to the old game, one of the agents wife's is named Sandy, though this seems a hollow reference because Dave doesn't seem this boring.

So after climbing back through the chimney, I find Fred tied up with red tape and rope, still asleep on the mysterious bed. Bernard can take away the rope quite easily, but the red tape remains. Red tape is a reference to bureaucracy, getting through one of those is said to be "cutting through the red tape". Once again Bernard refuses to cut it, but at least this time I can see his point. I can push him off the bed, but this causes one of the IRS agents to walk in and put him back on the bed. I can attach the rope to the pulley outside, but everything else I can do here is a mystery. I tried using the funnel or the coffee on him, but no dice.

It doesn't take long before I come to another idea, this time in the future. By the usual brute force method of trying everything on everything I haven't done anything with I end up using the correctional fluid on the fence. The cat comes out and now it has a skunk stripe. AHA! The recursive loop with the Edisons is fixed. Let's see them stay in the jail now!

Yeah, that's an appropriate reaction

Incidentally, this was taken from some Pepe le Pew cartoon or another, where the cat he's chasing accidentally ends up with a skunk stripe...or one where he ended up looking like a regular cat. Chances are, most ideas you could have regarding a subject these cartoons used was used...or would be really lame. To the basement! Finally.

My hamster is still cold, because I guess I need the sweater somehow, but at least I have access to some new stuff. Like the vacuum, which Laverne refuses to do anything with because she doesn't do housework. Her room must be filthy. A hatch on the vacuum...which contains nothing. Some boxes of stuff I can't use or interact with. The old time machine...and another mouse hole. Drat, stumped again. Bleh.

But it doesn't take long for another hit, back in the present, the rope is on the front lawn. Clearly what I have to do is attach the end of the rope to Dead Ted, thus bringing him up with Fred and allowing me to use whatever the birdbath contains. Or not on the latter front, it breaks. And now that I have his body up here, I'm unsure of what I'm specifically supposed to do. If I try attaching the rope to Dr. Fred, Bernard knocks him out of the bed, alerting the IRS agent. If I try to replace Dr. Fred with Ted, Bernard also knocks Fred out of the bed. Try saying that ten times fast. Oh, wait a minute, Fred is covered in red tape, of course! The red paint.

It works, and I can now attach the rope to Dr. Fred. So, an issue I've noticed regarding the game. A lot of hotspots are very tricky to reach, especially with inventory items. There's no obvious cursor. This is something Sierra did a lot better with. There was always a pixel on the cursors that was intended to be the point. Helps make part of the equation easier. With that out of the way, we get a short cutscene in which Bernard makes a Bernard-shaped hole and Dr. Fred falls in after him. A classic cartoon gag.

Dr. Fred is dragged into the lab and I can finally use the funnel + coffee combo on him. He moves around to indicate how strong it is, before finally landing and saying "Damn good coffee". Which is of course, a reference to the Northern Exposure episode "Russian Flu", in which during a rather bizarre dream sequence one character says that, among other bizarre things which are in no way a reference to anything else anyone ever made ever. No siree. ._.

Unfortunately, Dr. Fred doesn't want to sign the contract, because he doesn't sign anything he doesn't read and he isn't reading it because he has to save the world. It's a dialog puzzle, which I solve by saying Bernard is going to save the world, and he did so by giving Purple Tentacle a check from Fred's account. Fred must have missed the part where he's broke...

After doing that I can go back to the past, mail the letter. Fred gets a phone call in the present saying he's owed two million dollars. After his account gets credited he immediately calls a travel agent. Fortunately, this doesn't prevent me from buying a diamond. Now the present is "solved", in that I've accomplished my overarching mission. I just need to solve the past and the future. Um...wow, I don't actually have any ideas left.

I only find this out by sheer luck, but that grating I was trying to open earlier...I can just open it. Allowing me to trap the chattering teeth there. With that, I don't need to find anything in the past for the time capsule! When George Washington has the chattering teeth, Jefferson thinks that Washington is cold. Now Hancock and Jefferson are arguing over who should build the fire. Cut to two hours later, and it's built. Now...what do I do with the blanket? I think I use it on the fire to create smoke in the room so everyone leaves and I can steal the quill...well I can't do that in here, but I can talk to the founding fathers more.

What I really have to do is bring the blanket to the chimney. This causes a little cutscene, and now I can steal the pen. As I'm leaving the room, the founding fathers come back, almost about to accuse Hoagie of some wrong doing before Hoagie manages to deflect it onto Hancock. I can leave and give the pen to Red Edison. He doesn't give the battery to me right away, rather Hoagie needs to do the usual "look away" gag before taking it.

Finally I can do the kite thing right. It goes smoothly...for once. Franklin says the kite is heavy, but manages to hold onto it as the kite is struck by lightning. Franklin finds that satisfactory. Hoagie asks to see the kite once it's down, but Franklin says he's about to go to Baltimore and he's taking the kite. Fortunately he drops the battery, so Hoagie goes to pick it up...but not before Franklin comes back to ask his name, and Hoagie says it. Franklin says he'll name an invention after him. I wonder if that's a reference to something, because as far as I know, he's not responsible for the name of the sandwich in the slightest.

The time machine in the past is set, now I just need to deal with Laverne. Hmm...Now that's a problem. I've tried everything on seemingly everything and nothing happened. I can't do anything with the vacuum cleaner yet, nor the mouse hole nor the stuff in the boxes. I even tried sticking a fork into an electrical outlet, only for the game to not even acknowledge what I did. Really, you missed that? I wasn't expecting a good joke, but I was expecting something! What do I even have left as an option?

I'm not really sure how long it was between then and when I finally made progress. At least the closest thing I made to progress for a while. I form plans. I think about items I can't reach yet and how they might be used. The only item I have left that I haven't used is a hammer, and what it works on is a mystery. I've tried using it on everything in the future and most things in the past and present violence might be a reasonable use. No dice.

Rarely do I exaggerate things, but proof is pretty good

How can I get that damn gum? I just don't have anything that can deal with it. I've tried everything twice, all to no success. I've tried it so many times the game accidentally broke itself. Instead of the usual "Spearmint, my favorite" Laverne says that message. Only...Laverne isn't there. But if Laverne isn't there and Laverne can say that, that means that this whole deal with the sweater is a red herring or at least going to be delayed until she returns here for some reason. Blah. At least I know this isn't a problem now.

Still, at least this means I can cross something else off. I also crossed off the mouse holes, figuring that I can get Purple Tentacle's shrink ray at some point to enter them. So, as is becoming frighteningly custom during this game, I am wandering around pointlessly.

It's by luck, this time not with breaking the game, that allows me to see the next answer. In the sleeping man's room, I close the door by accident. I wasn't expecting that to accomplish anything, especially since I thought I already did that. Because if I didn't it was the last door on this floor I closed while inside. Lo, and behold, keys. FINALLY. That's the second best "remember that you can close doors" puzzle I've seen. Now I can give these to the Jack Nicholson impersonator, take his crowbar...and...uh...huh. I know it isn't going to work with the gum since Laverne has to be able to use it. I can't send it to Laverne or Hoagie...uh...what else do I have? The vending machine!

I wonder how much this many quarters weigh

And no beef jerky, instead Bernard gets a lot of quarters. Over 800k USD worth. Um, I wasn't aware I needed that many quarters considering the only object I could use it with is the laundromat. I doubt that Laverne or Hoagie need anything. Wait, does this mean I can use the crowbar on the gum? Yes. But first, B-man needs to recite the year of every quarter before picking it up. "Oh...1977"? Ah, yes, the year the Vietnamese-Cambodian war started. Nothing else of importance happened then. I'm kidding, the Apple II first came out. That's it. Nothing else related to this game published by a company George Lucas started happened in 1977.

Next step, trying the crowbar on the gum...and it works. What the hell was that ********* with Laverne then? Obviously it's not happening now, since I have the dime...and the dime and gum are together. Bernie has to use the gum...to chew it, getting us the dime. Back to the heavy sleeper and whamo, he's on the floor. Now, I can finally get the sweater. More like SWEATer because its soaking wet. Yuck. Well, that's what the dryer is for, I guess. It should probably be washed first though, but that's not important.

Bernard actually goes and puts in all the quarters he had into the machine...which I guess means that I have to get it in the future. Now in the future, I pick up the shrunken sweater and can put it on the hamster. All problems solved, now to charge the battery. At which point the game sucker punches you.

Literally

I like this, it works in a lot of ways. You're not expecting this, and afterward you're expecting Purple Tentacle to pop out or something, but he doesn't. Now the game throws a minor puzzle our way in the form of having the hamster hide in the mousehole. Finally, the vacuum comes in handy and I didn't just do that because I thought I could solve something else! After checking to make sure I can't pick up the boxing glove, and picking up a hubcab for some reason, it's time to return to the present.

Hoagie and Laverne triumphantly return, only for Dr. Fred to point out that they still need to go through with the original plan of stopping the sludge machine. Before they can protest, Purple Tentacle comes rushing in to stop us, taking one of the time machines. Then Green Tentacle comes in, saying he can stop him this time, before taking one of the others. Without a choice, the trio stuff themselves into the last Chron-a-John. ( 汀掳 蜏蕱 汀掳) Dr. Fred protests, "Hasn't anyone seen The Fly?" before they too enter the past. (I am annoyed that we had to deal with all this the whole game, but now that it's the end, the Chron-a-John can be sent by itself somewhere)

See Laverne, it COULD be worse!

And they're a monster now. Unsurprisingly, Green Tentacle has been tied up, and Purple Tentacle walks in.

...a lot worse

...along with Purple Tentacle's army. Old Purple Tentacle says he'll deal with us and shoots us with the shrink ray. Aha, I knew that was going to come into play. Fortunately, the effects wear off quickly. Now the Trio Thing hides in one of the hotel rooms and the final section of the game begins. First problem, I don't have any items. Second problem, the old guy is camped in the hallway and I can't do anything about that. Or not because I can just walk out there. I take this opportunity to walk into the second room. He zaps me as I walk by, but the thing still takes a while between shots.

Unfortunately, the mousehole isn't that useful a thing, just allowing transport between the suicidal guest's room and Green Tentacle's room. What I can do now, apparently, is pick up the bowling ball. Now Purple Tentacle's gonna get it...and he's gone. Perhaps because I turned on the music from Green's stereo, in the hopes it would distract him. I go back and turn it off, and he's still missing. Funny. Outside of a lot of locked doors, there's not much in the ways of a change between the present and yesterday. I can pick up the help wanted sign again...for some reason.

The basement turns out to be less...menacing than I thought. Oh, look, ten tentacles in a highly suspicious formation. I have a bowling ball. The animation was amusing at least. The Trio Thing turns off the machine, only for Old Purple Tentacle to walk in, use the shrink ray again and turn it back on. I have to wait for my characters to return to normal size...and then nothing happens. I guess using the machine again would be a wash, so I try talking to Dr. Fred. No dice. Uh...a dialog puzzle with Purple Tentacle? Huh.

If you ignore the actual solution, you get some of Purple Tentacle's motivation to do things. His hatred of humans started with Dr. Fred, and he was the one who invented the Sludg-o-matic. Huh, wouldn't that mean even if we stop him, he still wins? Whatever, the actual idea is to get him to fire his shrink ray at Dr. Fred. Because he hits the forehead every time and Dr. Fred is wearing a reflective metal...uh...thing doctors wear, Purple Tentacle gets hit instead. Muahaha. The Trio Thing steps on Purple Tentacle and mail him off to Siberia with the help of Ed's hamster. The day is saved.

Later, the Trio Thing tries to get Dr. Fred to fix his mistake...only to discover they were okay all along, they just got tangled up in each other's clothes. The three separate, and roll credits.

That was a pretty good game. I note that unlike some games, my reaction whenever I finally found out what a puzzle's solution was a pretty good one. Were this a missed classic and I was allowed to look things up I'd give the game credit even if I couldn't figure it out. Except that mattress puzzle. But will it get 10s in so many categories like people predicted when the PISSED comes out? We'll see.

The gum thing, now that I think about it, is probably because of a minor programming error. Since the gum is a small thing, you can send it through time. Bernard says the same thing if you look at the gum on the ground or in your inventory, so the game just incorrectly loaded Laverne's line. And unless there's been a change in how gum looks over the past 30 years, then spearmint gum should be a pale green. Source: As I write this, I am staring at a big box of spearmint gum.

This hole! It was made for me

Programming Note: The Summary on Day of the Tentacle will be delayed until after Oseung-gwa Haneum is finished. Your patience is appreciated. Also, those of you who played along (with DOTT) should kindly note so in this post. I know there are at least three of you and I don't want to miss anyone.

Total Time: 8 hours 45 minutes

46 comments:

  1. EP and SP are different VHS recording & playback speeds, "extended play" and "standard play". EP sacrifices quality for longer playback, with data stored at higher speed per amount of tape, which is then played more slowly to compensate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't expect a Junji Ito reference in the captions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time to dump here links praising this game's puzzle design:

    *https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDt6XXsRXag
    *http://www.joematar.com/day-of-the-tentacle-is-the-best-designed-adventure-game-ever/
    *http://thewebsiteisdown.com/twidblog/day-of-the-tentacle-dependency-graph/
    *http://thewebsiteisdown.com/twidblog/day-of-the-tentacle-puzzle-by-puzzle/
    *https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiwmzgMm9WI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, too bad the second thewebsiteisdown link there isn't complete. The puzzle dependency chart is interesting. I'll have to bookmark the joematar.com one for later as it's over 10,000 words and that will take me too long to read just for a blog comment ;) but "Best"? that's an awfully strong statement. It's well-designed, yes. But best?

      Delete
    2. Well, can you think of a better one? Besides possibly Riven (and even it has things to nitpick about).

      Delete
    3. I didn't have a particular candidate in mind to advance. It's interesting though that thewebsiteisdown does acknowledge that there are some "backwards" puzzles and the game doesn't, in fact, adhere to all of "Ron's Rules of Game Design".

      Delete
    4. Also I've never played Riven (or Myst), so I wouldn't know about that.

      Delete
    5. Objectively, it's hard to say... but subjectively, I personally preferred the puzzles in Gabriel Knight as they also involved aspects of cryptography and general/acquired knowledge. I can't quite explain it, but when I solved things in GK1 I felt really proud of myself (read: smart). With DOTT, I didn't get that same dopamine hit.

      The puzzles that are there are clever and for the most part, logical. Personally, I minus 1 for the backward nature of the puzzles, minus 1 for the lack of variety (by-and-large, they are, you need x, which requires y, which you get by moving z out of the way), and minus 1 for the lack of multiple solutions to any of the puzzles.

      Delete
    6. Some plus points in DotT's favour would be the unique and compelling time travel premise, the handy layout of the mansion (efficiently navigable but also repeated across three eras so everything's easier to remember), pacing the availability of the characters so the player isn't instantly overwhelmed but eventually has a large total area to contend with, and making its cartoon logic (e.g. washing the wagon) make total sense to the player. On the other hand, Fate of Atlantis, which got the highest puzzle rating so far, for example may have multiple solutions but contains more tedium (tevaqvat sbe bevpunyphz, onpxgenpxvat va Ngynagvf, enaqbzvfrq vqragvgvrf bs ebbzf va Xabffbf pvgl & Ngynagvf erdhvevat lbh gb ivfvg zbfg bs gurz rira jura ercynlvat, ercrngrqyl nfxvat gur abznqf sbe qverpgvbaf, ercrngrqyl gelvat juvpu bs Ny-Wnoone'f vgrzf gur tebpre va Nytvref jvyy npprcg, frnepuvat sbe gur pbeerpg fgerrg pbeare va gur Jvgf cngu, ubj znal svatref vf Gebggvre ubyqvat hc...).

      Delete
    7. Gabriel Knight 1 is generally good puzzle-wise (gur ibbqbb pbqr isn't as bad as people make it out to be), but it has too much pixel hunting to my liking (especially pynl ba gur ornpu naq gur juvgr pbyyne; closing the door in DotT to get the keys is more tolerable to me), doing enough events somewhat arbitrarily ending a day goes against my philosophy of good goal structuring (you also have to revisit locations on each day to see if anything's new), there's no particular continuous gimmick to elevate it, and there's a mild case of possibly dead-ending yourself in the last day. Could earn an 8 or even 9 but not 10 IMO. And I'm saying this despite GK1 being one of my absolute favourite adventure games.

      Delete
    8. In my memory from decades ago, DOTT's puzzles are indeed good. But reading this advgamer playthrough, I get the impression that most of them are really obtuse. There are a lot of instances where the reviewer walks around aimlessly, not knowing what to do, and brute-forces the solution by trying every object on every hotspot. Frankly it sounds rather frustrating.

      That suggests there's a big Nostalgia Factor in play here and the puzzles are not nearly as good as we remember.

      Delete
    9. I'm going to hold off on all my thoughts for the summary, obviously, but I'm going to point out right now that I would at best put it in my own personal number 5 spot. For the most part puzzles I had trouble with didn't make me annoyed when I solved them, but I am seeing that in some cases the train of logic requires you to get on a specific station or you'll never solve it.

      Delete
    10. @Laukku: Yeah, the pynl ba gur ornpu almost broke me, and I only stumbled across it in the end rather than resolved to it. I also find pixel hunting sbe obbxf va n obbxfurys to be a cheap trick. The juvgr pbyyne I found immediately however.

      I guess the day mechanism is a case of different strokes, as I loved the fact the game was segmented, eliminating that anxiety of "I hope I didn't miss something I needed to progress" (similar to Monkey Island's "Parts"), whilst revisiting locations to see if anything had changed was another touch of realism that struck a chord (something I've enjoyed since Hero's Quest).

      Would agree that GK1 isn't objectively a 10 for puzzles, but the combination of elements that make up that 8 or 9 all conveniently resonate for me.

      Delete
    11. @PsOmA: To clarify, being segmented into days/chapters by itself isn't what rubs me the wrong way, it's the sometimes weak or nonexistent causal connection between completing tasks and ending a day. A good example of what I'm talking about is pbclvat Penfu'f gnggbb gevttrevat qnl 4'f raq, jura gur arjfcncre vzcyvrq erbcravat gur ibbqbb zheqref pnfr jnf zber gbcvpny. Zberbire, va n cnfg ercynl V tbg fghpx ba qnl 3 orpnhfr V sbetbg gung lbh unq gb ba GUNG qnl uryc Fnz naq beqre gur oenpryrg ercyvpn sebz uvz, naq vg'f abg znqr irel pyrne nf n pheerag tbny (V zvferzrzorerq gung Jvyyl We., olvat juvpu argf lbh gur tnzoyvat bvy, jbhyq or obhtug bayl yngre sbe gur pbapynir). To be fair there are times the game does it well too (Qnl 6'f arjfcncre tvirf lbh nggraqvat Fg. Wbua'f Rir pbapynir nf n tbny, naq gur qnl vaghvgviryl raqf jura lbh qb gung).

      Delete
    12. 100% agree with the rot13 text by Laukku on GK1, and also for me it is one of the best adventure games ever made (but some things about it are just not very well-polished).

      Delete
    13. Yep, that's a fair call... whilst neither of the situations you outlined in ROT13 tripped me up in my playthrough, the game could have been more consistent in calling out requirements via the daily paper AND provided some mechanism to guide you through to the end of the day if you found yourself at an impasse (much as Dead Cousin Ted did in DOTT).

      Delete
  4. I spent a while trying to wet the blanket and use it in the fireplace itself to make smoke. Another case were I don't think that's illogical and wished the game had given me better feedback if this wasn't the correct action.

    Ditto the vending machine quarters - I'm pretty annoyed that the hammer doesn't work, only the crowbar. Since you're just bashing the thing to get the coins out, I really feel like the hammer should also work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess I should be glad I latched onto the idea of putting it on the chimney then. There is to a certain degree problems with the way this game tells you something doesn't work, its only occasionally that it gives you a special message saying it doesn't work, which doesn't really help in discovering what the actual solution is most of the time. (but does solve a follow up puzzle at least once)

      Delete
  5. Oh, and I'm pretty sure the sandwich of the same name is supposed to be the joke with Hoagie. Ben Franklin is often credited with inventing all sorts of things he didn't invent. And I thought he said he was going to Philadelphia? That's where the slang term comes from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I didn't know the middle bit. Did he? Guess because so many people talked about going to Baltimore that it got stuck in my mind.

      Delete
    2. On a related note - my son was watching the Mr Peabody and Sherman movie this morning and a line about George Washington never really cutting down a cherry tree piqued my interest. Following it up, it sounds like the whole tree lopping thing was the evolution of a parable told to children about honesty, where a 6 year old GW *killed* a cherry tree by cutting at it with his hatchet and admitting so to his father (which is distinctly different from cutting it *down*, and far more feasible given chopping a cherry tree down with a lil' hatchet would be a monumental task, even for a fit adult!)

      Anyway, had never heard of this tale until playing through DOTT the other week, and now it's been referenced twice. Who said games can't teach you anything?!?

      Delete
    3. George Washington / cherry tree / "I cannot tell a lie" is a very well known tale in American folklore. Its truth, on the other hand... :) is left as an exercise for the reader.

      Delete
    4. Minor inconsistency within the game: If Hoagie tries to correct the maid who assumes he's Washington, she comments about the sandwich - implying it existed already (in the game's universe) before Franklin supposedly inventing it.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool fact: the $876 600 amounts exactly to 200 years worth of laundromat time, leap years etc. included (with 2 hours per dollar).

    ReplyDelete
  8. As per your request Morpheus - I was one who played alongside. You've summed up my assessment with the statement "That was a pretty good game". Interestingly, since playing through it, I've probably gained a little more appreciation as I've read assessments and reviews which have pointed out clever details that I missed or were culturally specific, which I have to give credit for even if I didn't get them as an antipodean.

    I also started playing Thimbleweed Park today, and have found myself on the verge of groaning at its self awareness and unrelenting attempts at humour. I feel DOTT got the balance right in this respect, so again, praise for that because it could have so easily been another Sam and Max, which I ended up hating.

    All told, I totally get why it's considered one of the greatest and think it thoroughly deserves to be up there, but given there are already a few games on the leader's board which exist in this echelon (and ones which, personally, I prefer)... it will be an interesting PISSED!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that we're waiting for at least a couple of highly anticipated "final posts" including the rating of each game (Simon the Sorcerer, Day of the Tentacle...), in which the "Puzzles and solvability" category will undoubtely be the most important, here's a controversial statement from Hal Barwood in 2003: "Adventure games need to move away from puzzles."

    It's like I said: "Platform games need to move away from jumping", or "FPS games need to move away from shooting". I suspect por Hal became a bit confused about video game genres and perhaps, as it often happens, he applied the "movie approach" to define genres for what happens in the plot (we're seeing this a lot lately in the video game press: every single action game is now called an "adventure" because of reasons, or because it has the plot of an adventure movie).

    ReplyDelete
  10. By the way, does Day of the Tentacle have a lot of failed comedy? Because Sam & Max surely had more than enough to become annoying. I wonder how many points will this lower the "Dialogs" and "Story" scores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the physical slapstick doesn't do much for me (like Bernard hitting his head when first entering the clock), but at least the line about being puppeteered (when returning the stamps to Ed) is gold, as well as the laundromat stopping with a cute "ding" with such convenient timing after 200 years, seconds after Laverne enters the room. It's a rapid-fire comedy; even if not all jokes land there are so many that at least some will likely do.

      Delete
    2. I liked it, and bear in mind that there are quite a few adventure game "comedies" I dislike. It doesn't have a lot of self-referential humor, which I associate with bad adventure comedy and any jokes that are bad aren't dragged out. And most importantly, it never annoyed me.

      Delete
    3. I really enjoyed the humour in this. As I mentioned elsewhere, I was expecting the worst having played Sam and Max a few months back and finding it unrelenting, but was pleasantly surprised. From subtleties (like Laverne going from heinously ugly human to great looking tentacle) to the absurdity of the Human Competition and associated judges' commentary. Actually, pleasantly surprised undersells it... it might actually be the best comedically balanced game I've ever played.

      Delete
    4. Don't think so, IMO. There were a number of places I went "lol, that's dumb", but I wouldn't call that failed, especially in the obvious context of "this is a Warner Brothers-y cartoon thing". Dumb can also be successful.

      Delete
    5. I guess this all depends on your taste in humor -- as someone who grew up on movies by Mel Brooks and the Zucker brothers, I adore slapstick and cherish the book collection I have of all the original Sam & Max comics, I thought that Sam & Max was an inspired game.

      Truth be told, it seems I like the humor that everyone else in this thread doesn't. Morpheus doesn't like self-referential humor much, and that was a trademark of all of the LucasArts games. I also enjoy the playing up of the tropes. What PsOmA calls subtlety is probably meant to be more of either this trope or this one.

      Delete
  11. I bought a new VHS player in the early 90s, and record was, is and always has been a red circle. Was this a puzzle in itself, or just sloppy attention to detail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think just a failure of attention to detail, unless they intended to imply that the VCR itself was the product of Dr. Fred's weird mind...

      Delete
  12. The following 20-25 games to be played will be really exciting: some great ones (Myst, Sam & Max, Judgement Rites, Sins of the Fathers, Larry 6), some terrible ones that will be "fun" to review (Beverly Hillbillies, Wayne's World), some (French) ones with action (Inca 2, Alone in the Dark 2), a very controversial one (Police Quest: Open Season) and at least one hidden gem (Pepper's). Here's a screenshot of the list:

    https://i.ibb.co/jbmRtFf/exciting-times-ahead.jpg

    If only we could erase PsOma's memory of having played Sins of the Fathers so he could review that one! But at least we will get a more fair score this way (once Zenic is replaced as usual as the reviewer).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to mention Kyrandia 2 (massive improvement puzzle-wise over the first) and Quest for Glory 4, both near 1993's end just beyond your screenshot.

      In the 1993 post I already linked this analysis of Adventure Gamers' top 100 list, which argued 1993 to be the greatest year in adventure gaming.

      Delete
    2. I think "Gateway II: Homeworld" is the best from the next batch of games (up to GK1 not included). But I agree that "Pepper's Adventure in Time" is a fantastic little game.

      Delete
    3. Curse the fact I forget everything *but* the minute detail of every computer game I've ever played! Seriously - I celebrate Keith from PQ1's birthday every year, but forget my wife's. I would have taken a week off work to write a review of GK, but you're right, I'm as biased as a dumpster-find cassette deck :D.

      Really looking forward to playing through some of these for the first time (Pepper and Myst in particular), replaying some of my all time favourites (Larry 6 and, ah yeah, I guess GK1) and then giving a couple that I played but struggled with BITD an "older, wiser" crack (Return to Zork and PQ4).

      Glad to have found this blog collective!

      Delete
    4. some great ones (Myst, Sam & Max,

      Well, those might fall under controversial instead.

      I am one of a large percentage of people who believe that Myst was one of the worst adventure games ever made, and was an early nail in the coffin of the genre. People's opinions vary widely on that one.

      San & Max, I never would have thought of this way, until some comments earlier in this thread show a handful of people didn't appreciate the humor or puzzles in that game, so it also will be controversial in it's own way, and will depend a lot on whether the reviewer is American or familiar with a lot of the American life absurdities that are referenced in the game. For example, Stuckey's is a real place and popular to many in the country (such as a Wawa or Stewarts or other brands might be) and is part of the social landscape, much as Howard Johnson's once was.

      Delete
    5. I think the controversial status of both Myst and Sam & Max are overwrought by a vocal minority. I never saw much indication of a hatedom before arriving at this blog. (and I'm saying this as someone who vaguely remembers not caring for S&M for all the five minutes I played it)

      Anyway, since nobody mentioned it. I'm looking forward to Innocent until Caught. Remember reading about it some 10 years ago but never getting around to playing it. Space opera is underused in adventure games and an out and out thief protagonist just as much. Together its sounds like a pretty unique concept.

      Delete
    6. I regard Myst as a rather good game - it did not sell millions for nothing, after all - but its low screentime of characters to talk to might negatively affect its dialogue and/or atmosphere rating, and there are a few hiccups in the puzzle design. Its story is simple but effective (with some nice environmental storytelling), which I prefer to some particular overbloated messes.

      Sam & Max will be interesting - good at what I think of as the "style" categories (sound & graphics, dialogue & acting, atmosphere) but weaker at "substance" (story, interface, puzzles). I just recently watched Day9TV's Mostly Walking playthrough of it to refresh my memory and, while not the worst, the puzzles are not the greatest either. Things are also very easy to miss due to the baffling absence of mouseover labels.

      Delete
  13. It's wild to see how much "Pepper's Adventures In Time" comes up in the comments today, as though I have never played it, cursory investigation has always depicted it as practically DoTT fanfic. Was there any room for inspiration and influence in the timelines or is it just another case of grand synchronicity and coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  14. FUN FACT: It appears Pepper's Adventures in Time was first to come up with the time travel/Benjamin Franklin stuff. The game's previous title, "Twisty History", already appears in a Christmas '92 ad on a magazine: https://huguesjohnson.com/scans/EBChristmas92/EBChristmas92_pg44.jpg

    By the way, I'm playing Pepper's for the firstime and... I'm a bit both dissapointed at the puzzles being too easy (ages 8+ vs. ages 10+ on Eco Quest) and the graphics, music and surprisingly, dialogs being quite good. The dialogs have a lot of adult jokes hidden on them (you can tell Josh Mandel worked on this). Even if the puzzles are easy, we adults can also learn (especially non-Americans) and there are also quizs that are a bit more difficult than the puzzles (for example, the code protection is a quiz about the document "The Life and Times of Ben Franklin", included in the box. The questions and answers are also included in case you don't remember the actual article about Ben Franklin's life, but as an adult is more fun to just read it and take the code protection as a quiz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a game, perhaps, but I'd argue that Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure beat them both to time travelling to the founding fathers by a few years. So, not an original idea, but we'll executed nonetheless.

      Delete