Monday 15 August 2016

POLL: Reader's Choice 1991

It's that time again.

With only Ecoquest and Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective still to finish it's time to get ready for the annual TAG awards, and for you to vote for the best Adventure game of 1991!


1990's Reader's Choice winner was The Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2 received the highest PISSED rating this year. Will Lucasarts and Guybrush get the award two years in a row?

Chester seems rather cocky

Or do you feel it's a travesty of justice that our lowest rating game was Hugo II: Whodunit? and Hugo II was actually the best game of the year? Now's your chance to have your voice heard (and possibly have your voice mocked for lack of taste)

I wonder who dunit? (Actually I don't give a toss, but it's your vote)

We played 21 games for 1991, three more than 1990, and you can refresh your memory with our reviews here.
  1. Hugo II: Whodunit?
  2. Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and theTime Rippers
  3. Leisure Suit Larry 1: In the Land of the Lounge Lizards
  4. Timequest
  5. Space Quest I: Roger Wilco in the Sarien Encounter
  6. Leisure Suit Larry 5: Passionate Patti Does a Little Undercover Work
  7. Police Quest III: The Kindred
  8. The Adventures of Willy Beamish
  9. Spellcasting 201: The Sorcerer's Appliance
  10. Martian Memorandum
  11. Castle of Dr. Brain
  12. Conquests of the Longbow: The Legend of Robin Hood
  13. Free D.C!
  14. Les Manley in: Lost in L.A.
  15. Maupiti Island
  16. Elvira II: The Jaws of Cerberus
  17. Cruise for a Corpse
  18. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
  19. Heart of China
  20. EcoQuest: The Search for Cetus
  21. Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective
NOTE: We'll be leaving the poll up until after Ecoquest and Consulting Detective finish in case you decide one of them should be the winner.

And now, the vote:

Reader's Choice: pick the best game of 1991




15 comments:

  1. Space Quest IV for me, of course (OK perhaps MI2 is the best but I do love SQ4), until there's a Space Quest/Monkey Island crossover and then that'll win all of the awards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to give some love to Martian Memorandum because I really enjoyed playing it, but I have to give my vote to Monkey Island 2. Sorry, Tex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Free D.C. clearly has the best ending of the selections though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or best selection of endings, since it had three of them.

      Delete
    2. That's the same as Heart of China, though. Dozens if you count the "they all died" endings l.

      Delete
  4. I am pretty sure Monkey Island will win again, so I'll give my vote to Conquests of the Longbow, which just has to get at least the second place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fight for second and third would have been a lot more interesting if we allowed multiple votes. Maybe we should allow up to 3 votes next year

      Delete
    2. And if I did have 3 votes my others would go to Martian Memorandum and Space Quest IV

      Delete
    3. Conquests of the Longbow, because MI2 had an unsatisfying ending - Longbow had *multiple* endings!

      Damn, seeing how one game steals all the votes just makes me realise how correct Sturgeon's law is.

      Delete
    4. I preferred MI2 to Conquests, Laukku (though Alex's playthrough was hilarious) - but honestly, I just missed Les Manley 2, which is clearly what I thought of as the best game of the year.

      Delete
    5. I also prefer Conquests. I don't really appreciate the humor of MI2, I suspect. It's certainly a well-made game, but not my thing. The multiple endings and cleaner humor of Conquests tip the scales for me.

      Delete
  5. Huh, someone voted for Castle of Dr. Brain. Wasn't me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, had Police Quest III gone with my space alien cult idea that would of course have been nr 1:)

    Of all these games I've only played Monkey Island and Conquest, and of those I only finished Monkey Island. Well, that as much a recommendation I need.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At this point the question seems to be less "which is the best" and more "Is Monkey Island 2 better than all other games of the year combined"

    ReplyDelete
  8. 17 hours left to vote!

    If you've been holding off voting until Reiko finished Ecoquest and Joe finished Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, vote now or forever hold your peace.

    ReplyDelete